News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Just rented a new CTS

Started by Davidinhartford, December 08, 2009, 09:22:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davidinhartford

Last week I had to take my Mom (74 yrs old) to Florida.   I always rent a nice car when I travel.  Especially with an older parent a larger car is important for ease of entry/exit.   So I reserved a "luxury class" car.    Apon arrival they offered a Cadillac.  Which was nice to hear as sometimes they try to pawn off a lesser car or even an SUV off for that reservation.    I replied :"A Cadillac DTS?"  the clerk said; "No, a CTS".   I said fine as I was just happy it was a Cadillac as last time they only had a Chrysler 300 left to chose from.  The Chrysler 300 was actually a really impressive car by the way.

As we walked out to the parking garage to get the keys I still had the issue of Motor Trend in my carry-on bag that did a feature on the new CTS.  As many of you know, Cadillac has been showing the car in the red metallic as the featured color.   What is sitting there waiting for us?  A brand new, red metallic CTS.  What a nice surprize.   It was stunning. 

Being in a dark parking garage it took alot of groping to find the power seat controls.   Thank goodness the headlamps were set on automatic too.  LOL.     Being 6 foot 3 my right knee always seems to hit the dash/console area (in all cars) but otherwise the car was extremely comfortable.   I'm not a big fan of the tilt wheel control lever under the dash.  I prefer the older handle behind the turn signal style, but I guess that type is pretty much a thing of the past.    The dual zone climate control was easy to use and worked great.   Mom of course liked it significantly warmer on her side of the car.    The XM radio was real nice although it took a while to convince Mom that AM radio was not needed as XM had plenty of talk radio to listen to.  LOL.

The black interior was really nice.  Although I would have prefered some wood trim on the dash and door panels instead of the metallic trim.  The car drove and handled like a dream.   Front and rear parking sensors would have helped alot.  The last Cadillac DTS I rented in 2006 had them.   There was also a moment of panic at the gas station as I couldn't figure out how to open the gas filled door!   The cover fit flush with no finger pull and there was no inside release button!    It was by shear luck that I eventually got it open by pressing on the door and it spring popped open.   

I had the car for seven days and covered 600 miles with it.   From leisurely coastal drives in 85 degree temps to a drive up I-75 in a torential downpour the car was a pleasure to drive.   Would I buy one?    Well, it is rear wheel drive, so that would be a problem up here in New England.  But then again, if I was in the $40K market I would probably also be able to afford to use my Grand Cherokee in the winters and keep the CTS in the garage.   I also really like the DTS which is front wheel drive and roomier for my body size.   Hmmm  I guess I'll just have to buy both.      When I win the lottery.  :P

Stinson

I just purchased a 2006 CTS for my wife having under 23,000 miles for less than $18,000. the car is rear drive with a manual 6 speed transmission. May prove to be the most fun car to drive we have ever owned.
Ty Stinson
CLC22330
Ty Stinson
'37 Cad 8519 Touring Sedan V12
CLC22330

Rich S

David, I've owned a 2003 CTS (rear wheel drive) and now I own a 2008 CTS-4 (equipped with "All Wheel Drive" option). It is a great driving car for day-to-day use, my driving being the typical urban-suburban commuting. The size is great--more than adequate room in the rear seat and front as well--but certainly not comparable to an old bench-seat, full-sized Caddy, but passengers usually remark about how comfortable the car is. I also get excellent gas mileage and a smooth ride. Equipped with the "premium package" it has every amenity I could want--and the 2011 CTS Coupe comes with even more (e.g. paddle shifters, "back-up" camera and electric door openers). If I were shopping today, I'd buy the same exact car again--especially over its import competition. The CTS has achieved the highest crash rating. The build quality on both of my CTS's has been excellent, and although its a somewhat new market segment for Cadillac, its been done in the spirit of great Cadillacs of the past!  ;) 
Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

1971 Eldo Conv., 2013 CTS Cpe

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

David mentions that he he couldn't find the inside release for the fuel door in his rented CTS because there wasn't one.  Even my 2004 VW Jetta has one which is electrically operated with an auxiliary manual release in the trunk in case it faiils (and it has not in almost 100,000 miles). In my opinion, there's just no excuse for any 2009 Cadillac not having that theft-prevention feature.

Otto Skorzeny

I think anyone bold enough to siphon gas from someone's parked car could easily rip the fuel door open/off regardless of whether or not it has a remote opener or a keyed lock.

If you're worried about fuel theft, a locking gas cap, not a locking fuel door is your best protection.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Davidinhartford

Actually, I did open the trunk to see if there was an auxillary release for the fuel door.  There isn't one.    I wonder how many pushes that little trick latch is good for before it fails?     Not that it would prevent me from buying a CTS, but it was embarrassing at the gas station as I climbed all around the car looking for a way to open the fuel door.   Being a rental car there was no owners manual in the glovebox to refer to.   

Otto Skorzeny

Just curious. Did you look in the glove box for a button? My brother's Buick has a button on the inside left wall of the glove box.
fward

Rich S

There is no locking fuel filler door. The CTS does not have a locking fuel door because there's a check valve in the filler neck that prevents a hose from being fed into the tank and siphoning fuel out. I believe it is federally mandated, so this is part of an industry trend, and prevents fuel spillage on a rollover. Since the fuel cap is part of the emissions system in new cars, any "after market" cap must seal properly, or there are "Check Engine" alerts that come on. However, if the fuel filler door locked, it would provide greater "peace of mind."
Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

Davidinhartford

Yes I did.   The trunk button is inside the map pocket on the drivers door panel.   I looked everywhere, even in the center console for a fuel door release.    Apparently the trick push-pop fuel door is all you get.  And if I owned the car I would guess the dealer would point that out, or at least I'd have the owners manual to find it out.    

It was just an embarrassing moment, nothing that would prevent me from owning one.  I'd order one with the parking sensors though.  Todays newer cars have a sloping hoodline and high trunklid that prevent you from knowing how close you are to walls when parking.    I'm kinda curious if there is a choice of dash trim.  Fake wood vs. Fake metal.  

Otto Skorzeny

Yes but not a lot.

http://www.cadillac.com/cts-sedan/gallery/

The Chinese-built CTS has a much more luxurious interior than those built and sold here.
fward

RobW

Quote from: Otto Skorzeny on December 08, 2009, 05:37:14 PM
Yes but not a lot.

http://www.cadillac.com/cts-sedan/gallery/

The Chinese-built CTS has a much more luxurious interior than those built and sold here.

Makes you wonder how long before Cadillacs are imported from China?
Rob Wirsing

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day David,

Your Filler-story reminded me of the time I drove my '57 Chev to the Petrol Station, and sat in the car watching the attendant trying to find the location of the filler cap.

I had to get out and show him before he had the Number Plate torn off.

Bruce. >:D

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Otto Skorzeny

Quote from: RobW on December 08, 2009, 05:46:53 PM
Makes you wonder how long before Cadillacs are imported from China?

I wondered the same thing.

Here are pictures of the Chinese version (extended wheelbase) SLS

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/11/11/more-on-chinas-cadillac-sls/
fward

Davidinhartford

OK,  I like the wood dash trim option.   

I went on Ebay to see if there were any good photos of a black interior with the wood trim.

I almost fainted when I saw this......

Buy it now for only $49,9995

WOW

Otto Skorzeny

That's pretty cool. Who did the conversion.

I forgot to add the link above but it's there now.
and here:

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/11/11/more-on-chinas-cadillac-sls/
fward

Davidinhartford

Quote from: Otto Skorzeny on December 08, 2009, 07:50:26 PM
That's pretty cool. Who did the conversion.

The listing ( Ebay Item number: 280435799211 ) just says it was done by coachbuilders in Jacksonville, Florida.

There's a lot of pics in the listing.  The conversion looks pretty good.  At least it doesn't have one of those handle bar crossovers.

Rich S

Here's a link to the Convertible Conversion company web-site, featuring both the CTS and DTS convertibles (and no longer do either of them have the "rollbar" piece in the center):

http://www.droptopcustoms.com/showroom/cadillac-cts/

As for the wood trim, it's all real wood, but optional--and the silver look trim is standard. As for the back-up sensors, they and the back-up camera will be standard on the Coupe coming out next Spring (I guess to protect that stylish rear design, unique to the Coupe).

The unique Chinese Cadillac model is the SLS, based on a stretched wheelbase STS Sedan, and it's unable to meet our federal crash regulations, and therefore not offered in U.S.A. One of the reasons I've read about the SLS featuring a more plush interior is that the Chinese buyers still often have a chauffeur, because traffic is so congested, so they can do other things while in the car, and because they still favor more numerous lighters and ashtrays in the cars, compared to the U.S. market. These modifications to the STS were necesary following consumer research by GM.
Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

Otto Skorzeny

That company looks like they do a really nice job. The Chrysler 300s are really sharp.

I wonder what they do to strengthen the bodies?
fward