News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Carburetor for LaSalle '40 series 50?

Started by Andrew Pullin, December 10, 2009, 12:41:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Pullin

A carburetor is one of the few whole items that I am missing from my pile of junk (which can supposedly be assembled into a car).

There's a number of Carter WD-0's on ebay, and floating around other places, but how do I figure out which one will work?
As I understand it, that's also a casting number, or second model number on the Carter carbs?
A ballpark estimate of what I should expect to pay would be helpful, since I haven't dealt with antique carbs before...

This isn't a "heritage" restoration, I just want something that'll work. Should I just build/make an adapter plate and use something easier or cheaper to find or work with? I do have a CNC here I can make adapter plates with....

Thanks!
Andrew Pullin
1940 La Salle Superior hearse
http://andrewpull.in/hearse/

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Generally, most cadillac Carter 2 barrels will fit on your 40 LaSalle, from the 40's to 1951.

The most original Carter WD0 is the model 460S. One can check the flange face (the bottom of the carburetor where the gasket would fit) and try to find the number 277. If the 277 is there then you can be somewhat sure you have an original Carter Carb for the 40 LaSalle (unless someone mixed and matched parts).

Good Luck

John W
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

jim thomas CLC#15000

PULLIN,
         JOHN W. IS RIGHT IN WHAT HE SAYS. HUMM SO EVER,  IF YOU WANT TO VERIFY WHAT HE SAYS, GO TO   "THE  CARBUATOR SHOP" on the web .jim

Otto Skorzeny

Here's a link to the company jim mentioned.

I think I'll have to add it to the Huge List.

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/History.htm
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Otto,

Only place I will buy rebuild kits from. The best.

John W.
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

Otto Skorzeny

I read two conflicting things on the site. One said they do complete restorations of carburetors. On another page it said they only sell kits.

Do you know what's what, John?
fward

Andrew Pullin

I've fired off an email to them; I guess they really are only open Monday-Wednesday.
Actually, suprisingly, it looks like there are some Carter rebuild kits out there at reasonable prices (<$100), and a fair number of "rectangular flanged" Carter carbs on ebay.

Is it worth considering some other carburetor, just for a little more power or broader torque peak?
I only ask about this because I would like to be able to drive this car on the dangerous roads of California, so I might need it just to keep up.
Andrew Pullin
1940 La Salle Superior hearse
http://andrewpull.in/hearse/

buicksplus

I have used both a Carter from a '51 Cadillac and a stromberg on my 40 LaSalle.  Performance is similar for both units.  The particular Carter I had a sticky throttle bushing that led me to switch to the Stormberg.

These carbs can usually be found for reasonable prices on eBay or swap meets, take your time.  Decent rebuild kits are readiily available from several sources.  Terrill Machine comes to mind.  They are easy to rebuild.

If you have one that actually came off a Cad flathead, chances are the jets will be OK. 

I would certainly try to find either a Carter or Stromberg 2bbl that fits on the manifold before I started building adapter plates. Make sure you put a thick gasket under it, even with that it will still be hard to start when hot.  If it does that, you'll know you have a genuine cadillac carburetor!

Bill.
Bill Sullivan CLC# 12700

Otto Skorzeny

Pullin,

You can also get information and kits and even complete rebuilds from Daytona Parts Co and the Carburetor Doctor.

Their information can be found on the link in my signature.

The guys at Daytona can probablyt help you with advice. Ron and Tim are extremely knowlegable and know Carters like no one else. Give them a call.

They do first rate rebuilding as well.
fward

Mark Lowery

Pullin,
I may have the carb you need, but my usual excuse; it is up in Chico and I'm in Walnut Creek.  Anyhow, when I go up there again in a few weeks, I'll grab the carb and get the numbers off of it.  I know it works (worked) just fine as it was the carb on my 37 LaSalle when it was last used as a driver.  I discovered it was a later carb when I rebuilt it years ago.  It fits the intake manifold w/o an adaptor but I don't know exactly what year it was intended for, just that it was newer than the car. 

I recently acquired the proper carb for the 37 and will rebuild that one and use it on the engine when I get everything together.  From your Email address, it appears that you either attend UC, work at UC and/or live in Berkeley.  I'm just over the hill in Walnut Creek, so once I fetch the carb, you could actually check it out and of course there would be no shipping.  The body of my 37 LaSalle is actually undergoing restoration in Oakland so I often pop through the Caldecottt to visit it so I could also bring it by for your perusal.

Go Bears,
Mark Lowery, CLC #25216