News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1955 Authenticity Question-Hoses

Started by Joe 12138, December 10, 2009, 09:19:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe 12138

I'm going to have to replace the heater hoses on my '55 soon, as I just can't trust them anymore. Being that most of the hoses have the grooves or "ribs", I was assuming this was the original General Motors type. When shopping online for Repro hoses, most vendors advertise that their "ribbed" hoses with no logos are correct for late '60's to early '70's GM cars.  What's really supposed to be on here for '55?  Plain Smooth Black? Plain surface with Squares and "GM"? Or Gooved (ribbed) hoses?  The clamps are mostly the circular wire spring clips (not Tower type) . Is that correct? It is a low mileage car that was always dealer maintained. If the original hoses were replaced by the dealer in the "60's or '70's, that may account for ribbed hoses if they truly don't belong there.

Anyway, I want to get the proper hoses and clamps if I'm going to the trouble of replacing a Gazillion feet of hose. Anybody know what's right per CLC judging ?    thanks.....Joe G.

J. Gomez

Quote from: Joe 12138 on December 10, 2009, 09:19:06 PM
I'm going to have to replace the heater hoses on my '55 soon, as I just can't trust them anymore. Being that most of the hoses have the grooves or "ribs", I was assuming this was the original General Motors type. When shopping online for Repro hoses, most vendors advertise that their "ribbed" hoses with no logos are correct for late '60's to early '70's GM cars.  What's really supposed to be on here for '55?  Plain Smooth Black? Plain surface with Squares and "GM"? Or Gooved (ribbed) hoses?  The clamps are mostly the circular wire spring clips (not Tower type) . Is that correct? It is a low mileage car that was always dealer maintained. If the original hoses were replaced by the dealer in the "60's or '70's, that may account for ribbed hoses if they truly don't belong there.

Anyway, I want to get the proper hoses and clamps if I'm going to the trouble of replacing a Gazillion feet of hose. Anybody know what's right per CLC judging ?    thanks.....Joe G.

Joe,

Several sources from this forum..!

Ribbed Heater Hose, Exhaust System & Coker tire purchasing tips (from Lou Commisso)
http://www.cadillaclasalleclub.org/forum/index.php/topic,101311.0.html

and

1956 Cadillac ribbed heater hose
http://www.cadillaclasalleclub.org/forum/index.php/topic,106923.0.html

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

J. Gomez

Joe,

The following picture from the 1955 manual shows the heater hose clamps at the water pump and the tranny are shown to be the tower type.  Not sure if the same type were used at the opposite end, or if the wire type was used instead. I’ve seen the wire type at the heater core, and the thermostatic control valve.

Maybe other folks could chime in..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Otto Skorzeny

fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Joe G 12138

Thanks a lot Jose and Otto! I'll go with the ribbed hoses from the Chevy outfit. I'm still a little hazy on what hose clamps are proper for both radiator and heater hoses for the '55 though. I'm going to keep the clamp question up here, maybe Mr Josephic or others have some input on that before I order.    Thanx again!!!

Otto Skorzeny

You might want to purchase an authenticity manual for your car from the CLC  by going to the top of this page and clicking the link that says, CLC Home.

fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

I weighing in late on this -- but you'll have to forgive me.  I needed to look at my
car and that garage gets COLD when it's 12 degrees outside!

Here's the correct story:

--Heater hoses are the ribbed type
--Upper and lower radiator hoses are smooth (upper & lower are the same)
--Color of hoses is black -- never use RED!

--Heater hose clamps are the spring type.  EXCEPTION:  The clamps used on both
ends of the hoses from the transmission cooler (on duel quad engines) were tower type

--Radiator hose clamps are the double wire type -- until August of 1955 when the factory
changed over to the solid banded type.  If in doubt, used the double wire type as that's
more easily recognized as "correct".

--Vacuum hose from the Hydrovac to the intake manifold used an odd type of banded
clamp (on both ends of the line) with a single screw and nut.

I think that about covers it but if you have questions, just ask!

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Joe G 12138

Thanks, Mike, for braving the cold to help me out. It's been pretty cold here in Wisconsin too, so I figured it's a good time to get all my parts and stuff ordered now so I can get to work when a warm spell comes. I appreciate your detailed input, as I know your car did very well in recent judging (And it sure wasn't by accident!). My car hasn't been judged since 1998, which was before I owned it, but I do plan on getting some of these important Little points done right as I go so that I'm ready.
        Thanks also to Lou Commisso for his input as well! The links also made life easier so I can guestimate the amount needed for ordering too.   Thanks to all!!!       Joe G. CLC 12138