News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Re-pro handles in stainless...and tarnish !!??

Started by Rick Peterson #25685, December 16, 2009, 12:54:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Peterson #25685

Has anyone purchased exterior or interior door or window handles in stainless steel . Should I buy ? ..or are there problems..maybe tarnish. Is the upkeep tolerable.Plating for my 28 is nickel so appearance shouldn't be an issue I guess !?

Thoughts....opinions  ?         Please   :-\

Wayne Womble 12210

The main problem with SS reproduced parts is size. When it is cast, it shrinks about 6% or so. If it is a part that is critical for size, that becomes a problem.  Fitting may be difficult. Drilling and working is also more difficult. The color is not exactly the same as chrome, a little more on the yellow side, which actually looks more like nickle.  As far as finish, the nice thing is that you can take the part off and buff it up as many times as you want, and it will look nice forever. I have them and several other parts on my `31.

Rick Peterson #25685

Thanks for the input Wayne. I can't imagine that the tolerances on window cranks or door hanldes should be a problem  ::)

Did you ,or anyone else, fit those particular parts ?

The Tassie Devil(le)

A good reproducer would make up molds that allowed for the shrinkage during manufacture.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Rick Peterson #25685

Who dat ..who dat  ??    I'm looking at Verdone in PA .

Johan Boltendal #158

Certainly, it's all a matter of personal preferences, but I would opt for the brass or bronze any day. Experiences I've had with stainless, on both my '30 and '32 were
not up to standards, to say it polite. The parts simply didn't fit without major adjustments or altering, the weigth is too heavy for some use, detailing is poor
compared to a brass/bronze re casting, to mention a few of the trouble I've met, but, this said, that's my opinion.
Johan