News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Chrome houses?

Started by Brett Cottel, December 20, 2009, 07:11:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brett Cottel

Anyone use a reliable & value priced chrome house for their bumpers, etc? I am amazed that for a chevy bumper there is one price and for a caddy bumper another 2-3 times the price listed!  Ready to tellem that its a chevy custom bumper and save half the money.  Anyone send out their bumpers with a good experience?  seems my local shops are sending it out anyway.
thanks Brett
1955 Cadillac Meteor Combination Coach
CLC #27535
Pic's at http://s981.photobucket.com/albums/ae293/brettcottel/

Jeff1956 CLC#19595

Brett,

I've heard good things about razorback bumper service in Little Rock, Arkansas....I have never personally used them, but many folks around my area have and have always had good things to say.  They have two locations which serve the Little Rock metro area and the Memphis, Tennessee metro area:

7911 Arch Street
Little Rock, Arkansas, 72206
Phone: (501)568-4088

58 Bob Taylor Dr
Marion, AR 72364
870-739-1440

Also, I have decided to scrap the idea of restoring my 55 S&S as there is truly just too much rot to deal with.  If you need any commercial spare parts to keep for the future let me know, I'll let you have them very reasonably.  It will be sent to the crusher in the spring with whatever is left on it that won't interchange with 56..

Jeff

Brett Cottel

Hey Jeff, sorry to hear about the s&s, but sometimes we have to make tough decisions eh? I am looking for a windshield but I think I'll go new for that...otherwise I have most of what I need....I'll think on your offer and see if I can come up with some needs.
Brett
CLC #27535

jeff1956

The previous owner of my 56 60S had a new windshield installed and it is AGP brand.  It's been in there the whole ten years I've had the car and looks as good today as it did when I bought the car.  I'm not sure if this brand is still being produced, but any new windshield for a 60S fleetwood should fit the hearse just fine.

Jeff

Otto Skorzeny

Of course there's a glass company on "The List" which sells windshields. Auto City Classic Glass.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

George D. Mukalian CLC # 10047

Quote from: brettcottel on December 20, 2009, 07:11:44 PM
Anyone use a reliable & value priced chrome house for their bumpers, etc? I am amazed that for a chevy bumper there is one price and for a caddy bumper another 2-3 times the price listed!  Ready to tellem that its a chevy custom bumper and save half the money.  Anyone send out their bumpers with a good experience?  seems my local shops are sending it out anyway.
thanks Brett

Brett:
I had a superb job done on my 1969 Deville, front & back bumpers, by Charger Metals in Philadelphia, Pa.
If you want the info, let me know and I'll dig it up.

George
George D. Mukalian
CLC #10047

Otto Skorzeny

Qual Krome has a good reputation and I've been satisfied with the stuff they've done for me.

Paul's Chrome Plating was also recommended to me. They're information is on the list in the link below my name.
fward

Otto Skorzeny

Paul's Chrome                                           
90 Pattison Street
Evans City, PA 16033
724-538-3367 or 800-245-8679
www.paulschrome.com
fward

Mark Lowery

Brett,
From your reply to my inquiry about leaf springs, I take it you are in the Central Valley (CA).  Having grown up there, I used a number of platers, but when I look them up on the internet, they are all toxic waste cleanup sites!

Anyhow, there is a surviving shop called Clovis Specialty Plating that is in Fresno.  Appears to be a small owner/operator operation, and you can see what others think about them by going to the Imperial Owners web-site.  Looks pretty good, and always nice to be able to actually meet w/ and discuss your plating work w/ the guy that will be doing it.  The prices seem reasonable, and the most important part is they are doing the work on-site.

If you make contact w/ them, let us know what your impression is.  I still have a few pieces that need to go to a plater, and I cannot find anyone in the SF Bay Area that actually meets the criteria I cited above.

Mark Lowery, CLC #25216

J. Gomez

Quote from: Mark Lowery on December 22, 2009, 01:40:40 PM
Brett,
From your reply to my inquiry about leaf springs, I take it you are in the Central Valley (CA).  Having grown up there, I used a number of platers, but when I look them up on the internet, they are all toxic waste cleanup sites!

Anyhow, there is a surviving shop called Clovis Specialty Plating that is in Fresno.  Appears to be a small owner/operator operation, and you can see what others think about them by going to the Imperial Owners web-site.  Looks pretty good, and always nice to be able to actually meet w/ and discuss your plating work w/ the guy that will be doing it.  The prices seem reasonable, and the most important part is they are doing the work on-site.

If you make contact w/ them, let us know what your impression is.  I still have a few pieces that need to go to a plater, and I cannot find anyone in the SF Bay Area that actually meets the criteria I cited above.

Mark Lowery, CLC #25216

Mark,

About a year or so ago I meet a guy from So. CA at a local car swap meet in the Fort Worth area, he was selling new and re-chrome bumpers. I was surprise he was doing business in the DFW area, apparently he did business and visit car shows/swap meets mostly in the southern states.

The shop is Bumper Chrome Inc. in Bell Gardens, CA phone 562-776-8301.

Good luck..!     
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Brett Cottel

Quote from: Captain Morgan on December 22, 2009, 12:07:55 PM
Ive been out of the game for a little while, how much is the average going rate to rechrome a bumper or grill that doesnt have any or much damage to it? or perhaps a low & high ballpark?
I'm am getting quoted anywhere from $675 in New York (+ ship) to $1300-1800 here in Calif...but I did fing a guy who said he would ship it out for $900.....was thinking maybe I could bypassed his markup but I am not having a lot of luck yet....I am still reasearching.
Brett
CLC #27535

Otto Skorzeny

A lot of chrome places send their stuff elsewhere because the EPA has come down so hard on platers that many have just decided to stop doing the work. Some places send the parts to Mexico to have it done.

Whoever you choose, make sure youget some good reports from people who have used the plater. Price should really be your secondary concern.

The quotes you are showing look to be about what I would expect. CA is likely to be more expensive just because the state EPA out there seems to be a lot stricter. Lots of places are busier this time of year because that's when everyone tears apart their cars to work on them.

Here's Qual Krom's number: 814-899-8546 or 800-673-2427
fward

Jeff Maltby 4194

Quote from: Mark Lowery on December 22, 2009, 01:40:40 PM
Brett,

Mark Lowery, CLC #25216

Mark. You must know my ole pal Lowell Howe aka Mr. Imperial here in Patterson ?
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Jim Garner

I used Superior Chrome Plating in Houston Tx for my 62 Eldo bumpers. The quality is excellent and the total for both bumpers was about $1400 if I remember correctly. That was about a year ago. I also used them for the small stuff and I'm less than enthusiastic about recommending them for that. Their number is 713 671 0100(Bobby).
Jim

jim thomas CLC#15000

I had my chorme replat6ed and SS polished at OREGON REPLATING in PORTLAND,OR  YOU WILL FIND THEM ON google, 6TH ST, and 6TH AVE.  JIM TALK TO MIKE

Brett Cottel

Hey Captn, try www.sandysbumpermart.com
they say they are having a 20% sale on chrome work right now......that was included in my $675 price.  Lou from the CaddillIke's group forwarded this to me.
Brett
CLC #27535

George D. Mukalian CLC # 10047

Quote from: vardig on December 21, 2009, 01:11:03 PM
Brett:
I had a superb job done on my 1969 Deville, front & back bumpers, by Charger Metals in Philadelphia, Pa.
If you want the info, let me know and I'll dig it up.

George

Brett:
Here's the info:  Charger Metals
                        2127 Margaret St.
                        Philadelphia, Pa. 19124
                        Jerry Martin-215-289-9227
                                        -267-237-4411(cell)

George D. Mukalian
CLC #10047

Brett Cottel

thanks George, I'll give them a call.
Brett