News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1956 wiper problems

Started by Glenn davis, December 21, 2009, 04:04:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn davis

My original wipers do not work. Seems alot to them with vacuum. Would it be better to change to electric and is it a major undertaking?   Thanks

Otto Skorzeny

How often do you drive in the rain?

If, for all practical purposes, it's never, then use RainX on your windshield and forget about it.

Have McVey's rebuild your washer system. Istalll all new vacuum lines and soak the squirter nipples (nozzles) in vinegar. When the system is all functioning properly, it will do a decent job for you.

But seriously, how often are you in need of wipers because of rain?

My system works like new but I use RainX on the windshield and never bother with the wipers, even when I'm caught in a storm.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

dan reed

Glenn - You've probably checked some of these things already, but you didn't mention so I'll list them just in case.

Make sure the actuation cable is connected from the dash knob to the wiper motor on the firewall (mine is broken, that's why I mentioned first. If I get caught in rain I have to pull over, open the hood and turn the wiper motor on by hand) - probably easiest to have someone actuate the knob while your under the hood making sure that cable is operating the motor.  Also make sure the vacuum hoses are connected properly - maybe the shop manual has a diagram, I can't recall.   There's also the cable and pulley system under the dash which connects the two wipers to the motor - I don't know how easy it is to see any of that from under the dash, but I know if you remove the dash-pad you can get access to them. I've never had to touch any of that mechanism, but I imagine if the motor is working but the wipers are not it could mean that cable and pulley system needs adjustment or the cable has broken.     

Keep RainX in the glovebox. I make every effort not to drive in the rain, but it sometimes happens. However, not nearly often enough to spend the time, effort and money converting it over to an electric system.  The actuation cable running from the knob on the dash to the wiper motor has been broken on my '56 for nearly twelve years. I use my wipers so infrequently that it hasn't been a priority to even fix that yet.

Dan   

JIM THOMAS CLC # 15000

Quote from: Glenn davis on December 21, 2009, 04:04:05 PM
My original wipers do not work. Seems alot to them with vacuum. Would it be better to change to electric and is it a major undertaking?   Thanks ,    GLENN
DON'T BE AFIRED TO TACKLE THE TASK OF REMOVING OLD THE GREASE AND REPLACING IT WITH NEW "WHITE"GREASE.
YOU MAY CONSIDER  PLACE A QUART JUICE CAN WITH A"T"FITTINGIN THE LINE GOING TO  THE WRIPERS. (FIND DIRECTIONING IN "search" FOR MAKING JUICE CAN.  JIM

Tom Magdaleno

A rebuild is only a hundred bucks.  Try Ficken http://www.wiperman.com/
Tom
'38 Cadillac V16
'71 Buick Riviera
'65 Chevy Truck
'56 Packard Super Clipper