News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Opinions on Aftermarket Radios Wanted

Started by RobW, December 22, 2009, 06:14:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobW

Been thinking about getting one of these. Probably the USA-1 model, am/fm cassette with mp3 connection. $189 shipped. Repairing either my wonderbar or my am/fm 8track will be anywhere from $300-$450 + s&h and who knows how good it will turn out or how long it will last? I'll probably fix one of them sometime down the road. For now, I'd just like to have a nice working radio and the capability to hear some form of pre-recorded music. I can make cassettes from cd's and I still have loads of cassettes from years ago.
So what do you guys think? I could always switch back and forth for shows or whatever. Its not a 100 point show car but it'll take a 3rd place most times and once in awhile a 2nd. Does an original radio even matter for any show besides a grand national?
Here's the link to the radio...http://www.casmfg.com/Caddy_Olds_Buick_Radios.htm
I don't really like the look of the chrome and black face especially with the woodgrain on my 73 dash. Figured I'd go with the all black with the "cadillac" script in chrome on the tape deck door. If you look at the corvette radios on that site there is an all black one.
Anyone have one of these? Opinions, etc.....
Rob Wirsing

RobW

The all black one is about 1/2 way down the page ...http://www.casmfg.com/Corvette_Radios.htm
Would say "cadillac" in chrome rather than the "bowtie"
Rob Wirsing

Doug Houston

Interesting array of radios. As long as you don't go hacking up kick panels and the like for speakers, they're a good substitute for the original one. I'm wondering how they're getting away with using copyrighted names and the logos.

As far as judging in meets is concerned,  if you're a big contributor to such things as museums, or other club projects, you could have an unrecognizable heap of rust on the field, and get a high point score.
38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929

TJ Hopland

I have an older usa1 in my mustang and it works fine.  Its got some odd features but I have heard they are much nicer now.   There are many options for speakers without cutting kick panels.  If they dont have options for speakers check out other vintage cars that have good aftermarket support.   For my mustang I got a odd dual coil speaker that fit in the original hole.  Its not as good as having 2 separate speakers at each end of the dash but it gets you both left and right signals out of the radio.  They also make plates that fit in the old oval holes with 2 mini speakers on them so you can still use the original locations and grills.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

RobW

There really wouldn't be any "hacking". I'd use the same 3 1/2" front speakers that are already in the dash pad and the same 6 X 9 rears. All I would need to do is run a ground wire from the new radio harness to each rear speaker. I'd cut the pig tails or maybe even splice into the existing harness so it would easy to change radios back and forth.
The manufacturer tells me that the radio fits the dash opening w/o the need for any adapters and I can even use the original knobs.
Too bad they don't use chrome preset buttons. It would look much closer to "stock".
Rob Wirsing