News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1974 cadillac talisman rarity? value ??

Started by greg m, December 22, 2009, 06:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greg m

i have a 1974 talisman triple black  27k i owner miles  minor paint work   very nice car   how rare are they?? and how many do you think are left??  how popular are they now??  how much are they worth??  mine has rare air bag option..  greg 607 769 1181  or gmiller2@stny.rr.com.thanks for your help.. :o ???

Davidinhartford

For production numbers and a list of known survivors see the Talisman Yahoo group.   http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/74-76Talisman/

As for the ACRS system, only a few hundred Cadillacs were built with it.   I've only seen two Talismans with it.    Perhaps Cadillac Historical services could verify how many had it?  

As far as the survivor rate?  Pretty high actually.    These were special cars even when new, so most had pampered lives.   I think its safe to say that 50% are still in excellent shape.  25% are restorable and 25% were driven to death.

Value?  Very speculative.   They seem to sell in the $6000 - $12,000 range depending on mileage.    Condition is EVERYTHING on any 70s Cadillac.    Talismans command a 20% premium over a regular Brougham.    ACRS was a $300 option back then.    But due to the rarity of it now, I'd say add another 10% premium for it.

EDIT:    GM sold 10,321 air bag equipped vehicles over a three year period. This included Buick Riviera, Electra, leSabre, Olds 88, 98, Toronado, Cadillac Deville, Calais, Eldorado and Fleetwoods.  It was not available on convertibles or the formal limousine. 

Doug 22747

While I agree with David's comments, I don't think the air bags were/are that rare, in fact I think they were on most fleetwoods (74-76) due to the sheer weight of the car (at least mine had em) and the rear deck. Your car would be an excellent candidate to store for a few years, if that's an option.  1974 was the first year for the Talisman, they were discontinued after the 76 model run.  Doug
Doug Browne
Atlanta, GA

RobW

We used to work on many caddies back in the mid-late 70's and early to mid 80's. Lots of broughams and devilles. Never saw one with airbags. I'm sure they existed but maybe they weren't traded-in to the caddy dealer we used to do work for.
I recently saw an orange 74 talisman on ebay. We worked on a few back then but most were white with blue tops and interiors. A few 74's that were all dark blue. Never saw a black one, which was surprising considering the number of limos we worked on. I remember most peoples impression was that they were such a big car to have only 4 seats. Of course that was from those driving dodge darts and chevy novas. Everyone wanted 6 cyl. with AC.
Sounds like a beautiful car!
Rob Wirsing

Davidinhartford

I've been tracking down ACRS cars for the past 15 years online.    I've come across only eight of them.   Two were Talismans.   One was triple blue and the above mentioned triple black one.

I've also come across a Jasper Green 74 Sedan Devillle in a local junkyard.  The ACRS wasn't even deployed.  Unfortunately the car disappeared the next day without explanation.  It's never surfaced since.    I doubt it was saved as the roof was crushed in by a fallen tree and the car had severe rust problems.  The fools probably crushed it.

Below are some of the pics I've saved of the online cars with ACRS.

Additional photos can be seen at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/that_chrysler_guy/sets/72157623059225754/

Otto Skorzeny

Some of you have probably heard about this already. Recently (within the last 6 months or so) a woman was in a wreck in her 1974 Oldsmobile that she had since new.

It had airbags which deployed perfectly and saved her. She said she didn't even know the car had airbags.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Doug 22747

Oh THOSE airbags, I was thinking of the rear shocks.  I am curious about the storage section underneath the steering column, assume that's a air bag only addition?
Doug Browne
Atlanta, GA

Richard Sills - CLC #936

Greg -- did you sell your car on e-Bay?  It looked like a very fine example. 

Misfit

It appears that T/T wheel was not optional with ACRS. None of the cars pictured have it. They have most all other options but the T/T wheel.

And what are the little doors for on either side of the steering column? No normal cars had those.

Fins

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Just a cautionary note: Don't forget that airbags that are un-deployed are filled with a white powder that is very poisonous. There is no antidote and it will kill you if you set it off accidently. (Reference University of AZ/air bags.) The compound is Sodium Azide. Made a good murder weapon in a mystery that I read a couple of years ago.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Davidinhartford

Quote from: John Serio #22631 on December 25, 2009, 01:24:26 PM
It appears that T/T wheel was not optional with ACRS. None of the cars pictured have it. They have most all other options but the T/T wheel.

Fins

John,    Correct.  Tilt and Telescopic steering wheel was NOT available if you ordered the ACRS airbag system.   The reason was the drivers airbag was deployed mechanically via impact firing pin that strikes a detonator attached to a small explosive charge.   The tilt and telescoping mechanism interfered with this operation.    Newer cars do not use the mechanical firing method, nor do they use the explosive charge to inflate the bags like that.     If you want to really be scared, read the 1975 Cadillac Shop manual on how to properly dispose of a drivers side airbag mechanism.    It says:"Find a 55 gallon barrel drum, fill with firewood, ignite, carefully remove undeployed drivers airbag from the car and toss into burning drum.  Stand back and wait for explosion before approaching the barrel."   And people had this mobile hand grenade in front of them for 20-30 years.   Nice eh?    You can actually deploy one of these first generation drivers airbags by hammering on the steering box.   The passenger side airbags were deployed using an electrically powered gas generator.   I used to work for a company that handled them.  We had face shields and a fire retardant suit to wear if we had to service the drivers side airbag.    We were glad to get out of that program.   We never had any cars come in for collission repairs.     

Davidinhartford

Quote from: John Serio #22631 on December 25, 2009, 01:24:26 PM

And what are the little doors for on either side of the steering column? No normal cars had those.

Fins

John,    Because the passenger side airbag was in the same spot the glovebox used to be, the glovebox was moved to the lower center of the dash.   In the photos you can see the square woodgrained door at the lower dash center.   The small doors to the left and right of the steering column are the ash tray and a small storage bin.   Or so I've been told.   I forgot to check them on the one ACRS car I found in the junkyard.   The lower dash on the drivers side is different from a non-ACRS car not just for storage, but its design is supposed to prevent the driver from sliding down and under the deployed airbag.  The passenger side airbag was huge and protected the passenger and center seat occupant.   

Keep in mind that in 74 and 75 you had the seatbelt starter-interlock system.   If your seats belt wasn't buckled, the car wouldn't start.   A selling point of the ACRS system was that you didn't have the starter-interlock system to deal with nor a shoulder belt that would wrinkle your clothes and you would look fresh and crisp when you arrived after a trip.  Image that!   LOL.

greg m

Quote from: Richard Sills - CLC #936 on December 24, 2009, 01:28:37 PM
Greg -- did you sell your car on e-Bay?  It looked like a very fine example. 
the car believe it or not is a reral 1 owner car  lawyer in elmira NY  car was sold because he is now in nursing home...  rear quarters were painted..thats it  all orig..27,000  real miles  just didnt want to sell it to cheap so i pulled it..it was at 16150.00  i heard tell mabee low 20s if i left it .. really want a triple white 74-76 fleetwood if anyone nows of one...+also have had a 69 convt since 72  need white ostrage skin leather if anyone knows who serlls it ...i also have a 59 rosewood fleetwood that belonged to hank williams...  thanks for all the help...   greg

Davidinhartford

Quote from: greg m on December 25, 2009, 10:25:03 PM
.. really want a triple white 74-76 fleetwood if anyone nows of one   greg

Greg,  look for this one on Ebay.   I'm not sure if it sold or not.  It even has a power astro roof.

okccadman

Greg, 

Do you mean Hank Williams Jr or the Third?  Hank Williams Sr. died in the back seat of his 1952 Series 62 convertible on 12/31/52.
Jim Jordan CLC# 5374
Oklahoma City, OK

55 Series 62 Sedan
56 Series 62 Coupe
56 Fleetwood 75 Derham Limo
59 Fleetwood Sixty Special
66 Fleetwood Brougham
66 Superior Hearse/Ambulance
67 Fleetwood Sixty Special
68 Fleetwood Eldorado
76 Coupe de Ville d'Elegance
90 Brougham
92 Fleetwood Coupe
93 Allante
94 Fleetwood Brougham
02 Eldorado Commemorative Edition

greg m

Quote from: okccadman on December 26, 2009, 12:28:02 PM
Greg, 

Do you mean Hank Williams Jr or the Third?  Hank Williams Sr. died in the back seat of his 1952 Series 62 convertible on 12/31/52.
i am sorry yes JR.

52Cadillac

Greg, Is this the Hank Sr 52 cadillac you own?
Mike
SemperFiFund.org
(Helping combat injured Marines)

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: greg m on December 22, 2009, 06:29:46 PM
i have a 1974 talisman triple black  27k i owner miles  minor paint work   very nice car   how rare are they?? and how many do you think are left??  how popular are they now??  how much are they worth??  mine has rare air bag option..  greg 607 769 1181  or gmiller2@stny.rr.com.thanks for your help.. :o ???

As RobW pointed out, 1974 Talisman was unique in that it was the only year of the model to sport 4 passenger seating. In fact, it's the only year for such a seating configuration in a Fleetwood Brougham and only on the Talisman.

Last superb example I saw for sale was at the Atlantic City Classic Car Auction back in 2001.

It was a '74, with sub-10,000 miles in Cerise Firemist (or something similar) w/ white roof and oh-so-'70s RED velour.  A slight gouge in one of the front light grey bumper rub strips was all that separated this car from 100% time capsule mint original, as new. It was sold for $5,400.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Ken Perry

I gave my Dad a 74 Talisman,he still has it . It is blue on blue no sun roof. He lives in Ohio. He might want to sell it. I remember driving it ,it was so nice to be in I didn't want to get out!! Most comfortable car I ever drove! It was bought new by a hotel,they bought two matching ones,one got  wrecked and we got the other one. Nice Cars,I have only seen a few more. Ken Perry   
Cadillac Ken

Barry

Just bought one and hopefully will take delivery next week--always garaged, light metallic blue, matching top, navy velour. Has the glass sunroof and NOT FUEL INJECTED !! Can't Wait !! Need the plush auxiliary floor mats if anyone has 1 or a set !
Barry Norman
1958 Biarritz
1961Biarritz
1976 Bicentennial
1976 Fleetwood Talisman
1961Continental Convertible