News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Source for wheel bearings and seals?

Started by Roger H, December 26, 2009, 10:32:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger H

Hello everyone
I am looking  for  a good source for front wheel bearings and  seals for a 1936 85 series.
also wondering if anybody has explored replacing the ball type bearings with a modern tapered roller bearing.
At first glance it looks like a modern bearing may work if you could find a spacer for the seal to ride on.

I appreciate any help

Thanks

Roger
Roger Hundtoft
1936 Fleetwood 8509
Lynnwood Wa

Brett Cottel

try coopers vintage parts...they had the seals for my 55 anyway. I also looked into tapered bearing...which should be availbale but are pricey so I chose not to change them and really you don't need to eh? unless they are damaged?
Brett
1955 Cadillac Meteor Combination Coach
CLC #27535
Pic's at http://s981.photobucket.com/albums/ae293/brettcottel/

Coupe

I found bearings and seals for my '57 and '62 from a local supplier in the Minneapolis area, Cutter Sales.  I brought in my old ones and they cross referenced the numbers and came up with what I needed. The prices were substantially less than the typical old car supplier like Kantor etc.  In addition I was able to get viton seals not felt. US Bearings and Drives will also work with you to find what you need. Google US Bearings and Drives and check where they have outlets or check your yellow pages for other bearing suppiers.
1957 Coupe de Ville
1962 Sedan de Ville (4 window)
1993 Allante
1938 Chevrolet Business Coupe (Sold)
1949 Jeepster VJ-2

Bruce Berghoff - CLC 1476

Hey Roger... If you've never tried Olcar Bearing Co. in Southern Pines, NC your in for a treat! Give George a call at (910)693-3324 for fast ... knowledgable ... polite ... and friendly service on your bearing and seal needs . He's a real gem ! bb

Andrew Pullin

Are tapered bearings available? As a drop in part, or some kind of kit?
I was sort of planning to figure out a tapered bearing conversion kit, to try and help fund the rest of my project. But if it's already available out there.... maybe not.

I haven't actually pulled the wheel hub apart yet. I only got the idea when I saw that bearing & race sets were available for my little mazda rx7 fairly cheaply:
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?catalog=31&partnum=0513869&a=FR31-0513869
So it might be adaptable if I design and machine a part?

The Filling Station just put out an ad in the latest issue of Hemmings, showing a new product: a tapered bearing conversion kit for early Chevy's; any guru's know if that "should" be compatible with any Cadillacs or LaSalles?
Andrew Pullin
1940 La Salle Superior hearse
http://andrewpull.in/hearse/

Roger H

Hello
Ok, thanks  again for the leads, I will spend next week calling around,
I have my parts  cleaned and in pieces, spindals are off and I may pack them into a local bearing supplier as well.
I will reply again on what  I find out
Thanks
Roger
Roger Hundtoft
1936 Fleetwood 8509
Lynnwood Wa

Roger H

Hi Everyone
here is an update on the search for wheel bearings
The search for a modern day bearing was a failure due to difficulty finding any replacement,  I visited a bearing specialty shop and a napa,  Both were unable to find a replacement using part numbers on the bearings or ordering by size.

Olcar Bearing  was a success,  he has them on the shelf and they are on the way to me now.  Although somewhat more expensive than a modern bearing ,  finding someone with the right  parts with one 5 min phone call is worth a lot and , they are the original parts.

Thanks again for the leads

Roger
Roger Hundtoft
1936 Fleetwood 8509
Lynnwood Wa