News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Smokers interior

Started by Rob, December 27, 2009, 09:05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob

I am starting to work om you 87 Fleetwood sixty Special. I have an unusual problem. I have allergies and I bought the car from a heavy smoker. I will have to replace the headliner and all padding and was thinking about removing the carpet to have it cleaned.  The rear seats are almost perfect so I don't want to replace them right now.  I have a guy that tells me that he has an ozone machine the he says will get rid of all the smoke. Any comments would be appreciated.

TJ Hopland

I have heard of mixed results from those ozone machines, especially diy ones.  Having a pro do a complete cleanup may be worth a try, certainly cheaper than a new interior. I once bought a car from a dealer that was just traded in and smelled of smoke, part of the deal was they would clean it for me.  Dont know what they did but I never noticed the smell as long as I owned the car.  Other than that I have had the best luck with open doors and windows sitting outside on a sunny day.   Sitting inside with open windows helps a bit but the sun seems to be part of the magic.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Fred Zwicker #23106

When we moved into our new home a few years ago, something evidently died between the walls.  The smell was so bad that the contractor wanted to remove the dry wall to take care of it.  The odor was concentrated in our hall closet and was really strong.  I borrowed a commercial ozone machine from work and the odor was gone in 2 days.  You may be able to rent such a machine.  Another trick is to pour vanilla into an open dish or two and leave inside the car with doors and windows closed.  This really works well too if you cannot get an ozone machine.

Fred
1930 LaSalle Convertible Coupe, CCCA Senior
1939 LaSalle 2-Dr. Conv.  CLC Senior in 2008
1940 Cadillac Series 75 4 Dr. Convertible
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1948 Cadillac Convertible - modified by Holly (driver)
1966 Cadillac DeVille Conv. Restored - Red
See Pictures at www.tpcarcollection.com

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

I bought a low milage 88 Buick from an estate sale years ago. Lady was a heavy smoker, car had a cloth interior.
I had a complete interior detail done. Helped a lot, but still smelled smokey at times. I had not heard of the ozone thing or I would have tried it.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

If you elect to have the interior "ozone cleaned" by a pro, ask him about interior color
fading.

Ozone can and does fade the dyes in fabrics (carpet, seats, headliner) so I would get
his opinion / guarantee on this before having it done.

Also, there is a product called "Febreeze" that's made by Procter & Gamble that's supposed
to remove odors from fabric.  It's available in most stores like Walmart, K-Mart, etc.  I've never
personally tried it but heard good things about it.  Might be worth a shot.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Bill Hedge CLC 14424

I have had several realtor friends report good results with ozone cleaners in removing unwanted odors in a house.  However, I would definitely heed Mike Josephic's concern above about possible color fading.  Nonetheless, if the choice is between replacing the interior and using the ozone cleaners, you probably have nothing to lose by using the ozone cleaner and possibly much to be gained.

Based upon the recommendation of an upholster, I have used "fabreeze"  to try to eliminate the musty smell that old cars acquire when locked up in garages for long periods of time.  "Fabreeze" helped, but did not totally eliminate the smell.  Based upon the reports of several others, I would definitely avoid the use of the air fresheners you sometimes see hanging on rereview mirrors.  Several people reported not only the color fading that Mike refers to, but also the deteriation of headliners and cloth seats from the use of these air fresheners. 

76eldo

I would talk to a detailer.  I am sure that many new card trades stink from smokers, and they have tricks for dealing with it.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

okccadman

We have an ozone machine at my office.  It seems to work really well in removing smoke and spilled alcohol odors and other human generated from our limousines and livery vehicles.
Jim Jordan CLC# 5374
Oklahoma City, OK

55 Series 62 Sedan
56 Series 62 Coupe
56 Fleetwood 75 Derham Limo
59 Fleetwood Sixty Special
66 Fleetwood Brougham
66 Superior Hearse/Ambulance
67 Fleetwood Sixty Special
68 Fleetwood Eldorado
76 Coupe de Ville d'Elegance
90 Brougham
92 Fleetwood Coupe
93 Allante
94 Fleetwood Brougham
02 Eldorado Commemorative Edition

76eldo

"Human generated odors" 8)

I just love 21st century politically correct terminology.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Fred Pennington 25635

Go for the Professional Ozone treatment. I have restored fire damaged RVs. I used fire clean up companys with ozone generators after the rebuild and there was no trace of smoke smell. There is an oily film on everything that had to be wipe clean from every, and I mean every surface

My 2 Cents
Fred Pennington, CLC 25635
1940, LaSalle 5019
1940 LaSalle 5019 parts car
1968 Ford Bronco
1973 Mustang Convertible
2012 Shelby GT500

jeff1956

After getting my daily driver back from my sister after her having it for a week, due to the total loss of her vehicle by roll over....I noticed that she had smoked in my car, which I bought new, and has always been a non smoker car.  Seems I forgot to mention she couldn't smoke in it when I loaned it to her, but she already knew I didn't smoke beforehand and obviously didn't care.  I tried a spray called Ozium, in the blue bottle andgot it at the local parts house, and it leaves a better smell than smoke, but it's quite strong at first..almost like the smell of a hospital.  It stayed around for a few days pretty strong, but now it's just a hint, but there is absoluntely no smoke undertones or anything.  Said not to spray it on plastics so I sprayed it on my seats, carpet, and headliner.  It seems to have worked pretty good with my light smell....I'm sure if you're using it on a car that has been smoked in for quite some time...It may take several applications.  Just a thought....

Jeff

jaxops

I would try the Febreeze after a thorough cleaning or have it done professionally as was suggested.  Also- make sure to clean out your air conditioning and heating ducts.  My '56 had been cigar smoked-in and I had to clean the heater elements under the car to get rid of the smell. 
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA