News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

346 Engine Identification Questions ???

Started by rismt, December 30, 2009, 07:13:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rismt

I am trying to identify a 346 flathead.

I bought an almost complete engine from a guy who claimed it came out of a 39 Cad. He also claimed it was running when it was pulled about a year ago. I just received it and it does not match my motor I removed out of my 39 Series 61.

Several differenances I immediately notice is that the front timing chain cover plate (where the fan pulley assembly bolts on) has a casting that is about 1 1/2 inch deep while my motor is 1 inch deep which affects the alignment of the fan belt with the lower pulleys. Another is the crankcase ventilation system - there is no breather tube over the valve covers that connects to the back of the block nor is there the intake tube on the lower left hand side next to the oil filler tube - mine has a casting with a small square opening and his does not have an opening at all.

My motor has a series of casting numbers on the left hand side of the block (below the heads) that looks like "1027" (very hard to read). On the back of the block (again the left side) are the numbers "116" over what looks like "02".

His motor numbers are maybe (again very hard to read) either "99" or "66" on the left hand side and "73" over "84" on the back of the block.

Can you shed any light on what year/series his motor may have come from? Also, any thoughts on whether it will bolt up to my exisiting flywheel, clutch and trans?

Sure apprecaite your help and time.

Bob
Bob Schwartz
CLC Member #25646
Spokane, WA
1939 Cadillac Series 61 Sedan

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Bob,
I assume after all the discussion on this board that you know where the engine # is stamped. If not, please ask.  I know they're hard to read. They're 7 digits. The motor you bought sounds a little "tankish". Let's see what the #'s say. Don't confuse the engine unit # with the engine#.  If original, your motor should start with 829.
HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

rismt

Thanks for the info Bob. Appreciate your time.
Bob Schwartz
CLC Member #25646
Spokane, WA

rismt

Update: I think I have answered the questions.

I found the engine serial number which is "6270485". According to the information I have read this motor came from a 1938 model 60S.

Does my conclusion sound correct?

My appreciation to all of you who have helped me. Happy New Year !!!

Bob
Bob Schwartz
CLC Member #25646
Spokane, WA

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

You're right. I knew you could find those #'s.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.