News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Tranny gasket for my 83 Eldo...

Started by Rick Biarritz, December 31, 2009, 04:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Biarritz

Directions for applying my new gasket...

"Apply oil soluble grease to pan and place new gasket on pan."  This will keep the gasket in place when bolting up.  Do NOT use gasket adhesive or gasket cement. 

Okay, what the hell is "oil soluble grease"?  What's a good substitute?  What can I use? 

Thanks. 

RobW

Its an assembly lube tranny shops use. Its usually light blue and looks similar to white lithium grease.
Most mechanics use weatherstrip adhesive sparingly on the pan to hold the gasket. What that manual is trying to say is that if you get gasket sealer in the tranny it'll kill the valve body. That's why they say oil soluble grease. If any of that gets in there the tranny fluid will dissolve it unlike bits of hardened sealer. But if you just use a trace amount of the gasket adhesive on the pan itself and let the gasket dry onto the pan before assembly, you'll be fine.
Rob Wirsing

Rick Biarritz