News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

cad 390 engine noise, what could it be???

Started by eugene, January 01, 2010, 02:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eugene

I have a61 deville with a 390.  Lately it has started making a intermitent high pitched whine.  The oil light is off and pressure seems good.  It doesnt start making the noise until it is warmed up.  It tends to make the noise more at idle than at higher rpms.  once it makes the noise I can rev the motor and it will go away for a minute or 2 but comes right back.  I layed under the car with it running and it sounds like its coming from the back of the oil pan.I put a stethascope to the back of the pan but didnt hear anything abnormal, however the noise is definatley the loudest when your under the car.  A local mechanic told me that it could be the oil pump.  A buddy of mine thinks it spun a main bearing but I think if it had spun a bearing you would hear the noise all the time.   The car runs nice and smooth it just makes this noise.  what could this be?

Dan LeBlanc

Maybe the noise is coming from the transmission?  Perhaps the pump?
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

eugene

it ended up being a vacuum leak at the back of the intake manifold.

Dan LeBlanc

Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car