News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

oil pan gasket?

Started by eugene, January 01, 2010, 09:36:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eugene

Is there any trick to installing an oil pan gasket on a1961 390 engine?   The only gasket I have found is all cork, even the half round pieces are just a piece of cork instead of being rubber.  The pan leaks at the front and the rear where these half round pieces are.  The rear main was just done and this is a new gasket.  IS there a rubber gasket available or does rtv sealant need to be used? 
The valve cover gaskets are leaking at the rear and they have been replaced also.  I hate cork gaskets but this aint a chevy so cork is the only option.  Just lookin for advice to stop the leaks.

Dave Shepherd

I use rtv at the corners where the end seals meet the side rail gaskets, also I use thin thread to hold the gasket in place when installing or a dab of yellow w/s cement here and there.

Dan LeBlanc

I figured there had to be a trick to that.  Never could quite figure out how that would seal the last time I had one apart.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car