News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

346 intake/exhaust studs

Started by LSUFAN, January 03, 2010, 11:24:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LSUFAN

Hi,

I am taking apart the 346 out of my 38 7519.  I almost have the block completely disassembled.  My question is do the studs that the exhaust/intake clamps bolt to come out of the block?  Are they screwed into the block or pressed in? 

Also the shaft for the cam/distributor idler gear is still in the block and I don't know how to get it out. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Trey
'38 7519

Steve Passmore

Hi Trey.
Yes, the studs screw out, normal threads.
The shaft for the idler gear is held in by an hex screw below the fitting for your oil gauge pipe, take out the fitting in the block and you will see it.
Steve
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

LSUFAN

Steve,

Thanks!  I didn't find anything in the manual about the studs or the idler shaft.  I'll go and try it now.  Have to have this thing stripped bare by tomorrow so I can take it the the machine shop. 

I had been pondering whether to have the block tanked since the coolant passages were heavily rusted.  After popping out the rear freeze plugs I discovered it wasa mostly clogged.  Needs to be tanked and flushed. 

I was excited to discover the engine is still standard bore and has almost no wear to any of the cylinders.  The crank is .010 under.  I can see where #3 cylinder was re-sleeved, most likely in the late 60's when my Grandfather rebuilt the engine.  I know it was seized when he bought the car in '67.  Hopefully a light hone and some new rings and bearings is all I will have to replace.

Thanks again!

Trey
'38 7519

LSUFAN

Steve,

Got the studs out and the shaft...thanks for your help!  Now that the block is bare, it's off to the machine shop!

Trey
'38 7519

Mike Simmons 938

Since some- or all- of those studs go into the water jacket, make sure to use some sealant on the threads when reinstalling them- like Permatex #3. Mike