News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Now what do I do?

Started by robailey, January 04, 2010, 08:21:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robailey

After five days and no one has or knows of anyone with 87 or 88  Sixty Special, any ideas how to go about starting to get this car in Showroom condition? I'm not sure if it is just very rare of just not very popular, but I love it and want to make it a treasure not only for myself but also others to enjoy.  Any suggestions from others with unusual cars would be appreciated. I have loved Cadillacs since I was old enough to know what these special cars represented.  I want my Sixty Special to live up to its name.
Rob
Rob Ailey
Seymour, TN

1975 Coupe Deville
1987 Fleetwood Sixty Special
2014 XTS

Carfreak

Rob,

Pull out your CLC Directory and see who else owns one. 

If they have an email address send them a note to see if they would be willing to help you figure this out.
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

Carfreak

Huh, looks like the only other one in the directory is owned in NZ.  Bummer! 
Send a postcard or fax?
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

robailey

Only two in this whole club!  That is hard to believe. I'm still not so sure it is good to have a car with so few around.  Thanks for your help.  Any advice from anyone else with a unique car.
Rob Ailey
Seymour, TN

1975 Coupe Deville
2014 XTS

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Quote from: robailey on January 04, 2010, 08:21:37 PM
After five days and no one has or knows of anyone with 87 or 88  Sixty Special, any ideas how to go about starting to get this car in Showroom condition.

Rob,
I guess I don't understand your question. Why do need to find another like car??? Restore your car as needed. Paint as necessary, chrome as necessary, etc.
HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

robailey

I would would be good to talk to someone that has the same car. My biggest question is about parts. Some are still available from Cadillac, but I am not sure where to find other parts.  I love my cars and but don't know much about working on the cars. I'm looking for the same thing that brings most of us to this club, the love and appreciation of the Cadillac. Everything that I learn is a joy for me.
Rob Ailey
Seymour, TN

1975 Coupe Deville
2014 XTS

76eldo

I am confused, like Bob.

Unless some specific sixty-special parts are missing, it's basically a Fleetwood with some additional trim and interior lights.  I am sure it's a beautiful car, but as far as mechanicals, nothing would be really any different from any other 87 or 88 Cadillac.

Is this an HT4100 powered car?

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Otto Skorzeny

Hi robaily,

Click on the link in my signature. There are many salvage yards on the list that cater to late model Cadillacs. New GM Parts often has oddball electronic and mechanical parts for 80s cars. I don't think parts will be too difficult to find  unless the car is a total basket case and needs everything.

Brian asked about the HT400. The answer to that question may make your decision whether or not to purchase this car a whole lot easier.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Greg Powers

You are caught in the the aftermath of the situation that Cadillac created in the late 1980's. The Cadillac division decided to discontinue the rear-wheel drive Fleetwood and quickly placed the Fleetwood name on an extended wheel base front-wheel drive Deville with upgraded finish and trim. The public erupted and Cadillac retained the rear-wheel drive car but could not badge it a Fleetwood, so thus the Brougham was born. The Brougham is probably the more desirable car for the collector due to a much more dependable engine and classic body style. However, that said, parts for your car should not be that hard to find except for sixty-special  specific trim pieces which differentiare. Much like the Seville of the same era, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Good Luck! 
G.L. Powers>1954 Series 62 Sedan/1958 Fleetwood 60 Special-sold/1963 Series 62 Convertible-sold/1970 Fleetwood Brougham-sold/1994 Fleetwood Brougham/1971 Sedan Deville-sold/2000 Deville-sold/2001 DTS-sold/1976 Eldorado Convertible-sold/1983 Coupe Deville-sold/1990 Allante-sold/1990 and 1991 Brougham deElegance-sold/1992 Brougham-sold/Always looking!

Barry M. Wheeler #2189

I'm not sure, but I think there was a large premium for the extra 4" or so legroom in the Sixty Special. The Pacific Northwest Region was kind enough to arrange a brand new 1987 Sixty Special from a local dealer for my convenience while I attended their first meet when I was President of the Club. I think the sticker was somewhere around $38K. After seeing what Seattle traffic was like, it sat in the parking lot for most of the meet, but I did drive it to the Boeing Museum and out to Gordon Apker's home when some other attendees needed a ride.
While I was selling cars in the mid 90s, a customer brought in his '87 Sixty Special, thinking it was worth A LOT in trade. We told him (politely) that it wasn't all that rare for what he was wanting for it. Enjoy it.

robailey

Thanks so much for the information. Believe it or not the 4100 seems to be in good shape.  I have had no real problem from it. Most issues have been less complicated such as leveling issues, AC issues, and for some reason something is running the battery down. The major problem for me is interior.  SMOKE and a new headliner are the big issues for now. But I am working on those. As it was mentioned, the value of the car will never be in dollars for me. I is just owning one of only 500 cars produced and the fact that it belonged to a family friend its entire life. Thanks for all the input. that is what I enjoy so much about the CLC.   

Rob
Rob Ailey
Seymour, TN

1975 Coupe Deville
2014 XTS

76eldo

Make sure you check out the message board at www.ht4100.com.

The 4100 engine has a lot of problems, and the bigger the car, the more of a demand on the engine.

At the very least, you need to review the oil change and coolant change procedures on that board and make sure you do what is recommended.

Good luck,

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv