News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Fuel Filter Replacement

Started by Rick Biarritz, January 05, 2010, 07:49:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Biarritz

83 Eldo, 4100.  Replacing the fuel filter.  Got one wrench on the line coming from the tank and one wrench on the filter itself.  Trying to twist the nut on the line counterclock wise, leftsy loosey and all that.  Can't get anything to budge.  The nut on the line is starting to round off.  What am I doing wrong?  Are they supposed to be this tight?  I'm getting a line wrench in the morning.  I hope that will help, but I suspect that it will not.  I did, of course, spray the connection with penetrating oil.  Am I screwing up somehow?  Thanks.   

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Rick,

Trouble with trying to undo a "Flare" nut, is that the tighter the nut is, the more chance of squashing it when using a two sided spanner.

Special "Flare-nut" spanners are available, and these are virtually a Ring Spanner, with the end cut out just enough to slip over the tube.

Whenever I have a stubborn nut like these, or any other nut, I use the biggest Shifter that I can get into place, tighten it up as tight as I can, then apply the pressure.

Using a small spanner on a tight nut will actually cause the faces to spread slightly, and then rounding of the nut occurs.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   These joints are a "Compression" fitting, and are required to be tight.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Rick Biarritz

The job is done.  The line wrench did the trick.  That thing was on there TIGHT.  The gas coming out of the old filter was black as could be.  Does this mean it was really time for a filter change, or is it just black because it's a charcoal filter?  I'm presuming there's charcoal involved somewhere.  Am I right?

TJ Hopland

Fuel filters are usually just a paper like media.  Black stuff in a fuel system is usually from the hoses breaking down.  At that stage there are not many hoses involved.  There is a short piece between the pump and sending unit inside the tank.  There is then a short piece between the sending unit on top of the tank to the steel lines.  Its all under pressure so you would think if they were that bad you would have a heck of a leak and a pressure problem.   I would be tempted to safely and carefully cut open the filter for a closer look.  I would also plan on changing the filter again in a few weeks to see if there are still signs of the black stuff.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason