News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

94 FWB ABS & Traction Control issues

Started by nick.stratta, January 07, 2010, 04:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nick.stratta

Guys, Hi! Hope you all had a good Christmas.

Curious issue with the Traction Control and ABS on my 94 Fleetwood. Been going on a while. I thought it resolved but it's not.

Year ago, wife went thru a puddle that would have cleaned upstairs windows! Orange ABS & TC light came on about 15 minutes after.

I had the left rear wheel sensor wiring cleaned out and dried out (we drive on the left here!) - I think she knocked some wiring out and all seemed well.

However it does it's 4 mph checks OK. I've noticed with all the snow recently that if you drive carefully the blue Traction Active light comes on indicating the TC is working. If you accellerate moderately no orange warning lights come on.

However if you mash the gas with almost full bore after 5 seconds or so I can feel something graunching very slightly under the car and the two orange ABS and Traction Control lights come on.

Also when I switched the car off I could hear a compressor running on. Quite a loud compressor noise and coming from the left front of the engine compartment. This is where the ABS pump is on the '93 (and same on the 94?) but I wouldn't have through the compressor would be that lound. It sounded more like the level ride compressor.

At no time have I had a red Brake warning light on so I'm deducing the trigering is from the rear since this is where the TC sensors are linked and the TC and ABS work in tandem.

Any idea what is happening please and how I can fit it ASAP?

Secondly, it has it's annual inspection on the 11th Jan. Is there any way I can disable the orange warning lights just so they don't come on during the test? Switching the TC off in the glove box sets a trouble code and puts the wanring lights on.
A buddy suggested taking the bulbs out. Looking in the 93 FWB FSM I have it looks pretty complicated to get in there to get to the dash cluster and the wiring and even then I'm not sure there are actual bulbs in the warning lights, or even if I can get to them in the cluster.

Advice please!!

Thanks all, Nick
regards & thanks Nick
CLC 23023, CLCMRC Museum benefactor 113

Dave Shepherd

An abs function scanner showed be used to look at comparative wheel speed inputs and possible pending codes, any other attempt to diagnosis this may result in guess work.  In NYS this condition will not fail NYSI, check your state for this.

nick.stratta

Dave,
Thanks - I understand the principle. Where and how do I get hold of an ABS scanner and where does it plug in?
Here in Ireland any orange or red warning lights coming on on the dash is a fail unfortunately - as of the 1st Jan 2010!
Can I check the dash codes in the dash by stepping through a sequence in the a/c buttons?
regards, Nick
regards & thanks Nick

Dave Shepherd

The scanner plugs into the regular obd port under the dash, only high line professsional scanners are set up for abs info.  In lieu of this you could check the resistance of each abs wheel speed sensor at the sensor connector at the wheel, they are around 1150 ohms for the ft and around 1080 for the rear, at 70 degrees F. I do not believe 94 had the obd thru the ac control as the older cars did.  Check caddyinfo.com to check this process out.

nick.stratta

Dave,
Thanks - I suspect it was the wires into the red and grey junction block under the left rear passenger side of the car that were getting wet since they are just bare wires into the top of the connector. Shouldn't there be a cover over them?
regards, Nick
regards & thanks Nick

RobW

SPX sells an inexpensive ABS scan tool for under $200. Its sold as Actron CP9449 ABS BrakeScan. It plugs into your OBDII port like any other scan tool. It will retrieve codes, give definitions, and state whether the condition is an active code or a history code. It does not have an erase code feature. You will need to use the info to correct the problem and either wait for a series of drive cycles to turn the light off or disconnect the battery for awhile to reset the light.
Rob Wirsing

RobW

One other thing you can try is follow the ground wire from the ABS computer to the chassis and remove and clean the connections. Sometimes a bad ground triggers the light.
Rob Wirsing

nick.stratta

Rob, thanks - will definitely follow the ground wire from the compressor and check it and clean it with electrical switch cleaner. I take it is easy to see.
regards & thanks, Nick
regards & thanks Nick