News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Temperature gauge and sensor repair???

Started by Michael Lepak 17679, January 09, 2010, 07:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Lepak 17679

Can anyone give me advice as to repairing an engine temperature gauge and sensor?
I have an early 30s temp gauge and its sensor has been cut off to remove the nut for chroming.
Is it possible to simply solder or sleeve the line back together? I do want it to work.
Any help is appreciated.
Mike

Tom Beaver

You might look at the January 2010 issue of "Skinned Knuckles" magazine, they tell just how to do that.

Tom Beaver

Otto Skorzeny

Clik thelink in my signature and you will find several companies that repair gauges.

Instrument Services is one such company.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Michael Lepak 17679

Quote from: Tom Beaver on January 09, 2010, 08:14:55 PM
You might look at the January 2010 issue of "Skinned Knuckles" magazine, they tell just how to do that.

Tom Beaver

Thank you Tom.  I will order a subscription to Skinned Knuckles

Michael Lepak 17679

Quote from: Otto Skorzeny on January 09, 2010, 09:38:09 PM
Clik thelink in my signature and you will find several companies that repair gauges.

Instrument Services is one such company.

Thank you Otto.  I am going to try repairing it myself, If I can't, I will find an expert with your list.
Mike

Harry Scott

Mike,
     The bulb or sensor part of the gauge is charged with a gas mixture. Without it the gauge won't work. I just had one rebuilt for a 1930 Cad by Roy Martin in Vermont 802-862-6374. Very happy with the results. Harry Scott

Glen

Harry Scott is right.  The way these gauges work is the fluid in the bulb which is mounted on the engine expands and contracts with the temperature.  The bulb is connected to the gauge in the dash by a capillary tube.  The pressure in the bulb is transferred to the gauge by the capillary tube where it moves the needle to indicate the temperature. 

If you cut the capillary tube you will lose some fluid.  If you then solder the tube back together run the risk of blocking the capillary tube.  Even if you do not block the tube the loss of fluid will make the gauge inaccurate. 

It takes a special skill to make and repair these gauges.  But it certainly won’t hurt anything if you try. 

I would imagine that the fist step is to fill and bleed the bulb, capillary tube and the gauge.   Then the pressure in the system needs to be pressurized to so the needle points to the current temperature then the system must be sealed. 

Let us know how you make out.   

Glen
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

buicksplus

I wouldn't waste your time trying to repair it -- you will probably end up further damaging the capillary tube and are very unlikely to end up with a working guage.

There are several repair folks advertising in Hemmings.  I have had "The Temperature Guage Guy" repair several of mine, he has the special tools and techniques needed to fix these.  I think this is the same source Harry Scott recommended.  He does not charge very much either, I paid about $30 for the service -- though that was many years ago.

Good luck! 
Bill Sullivan CLC# 12700

Michael Lepak 17679

Gentlemen,
Thank you for the input and explanation of the workings of the system.
I did order the Skinned Knuckles publication and am waiting for the first part
in the Jan issue. I was told the Feb edition has the second part in it.
Since I have more than one guage, I cannot resist trying to repair the one.
I tend to be a stubborn old timer with the philosophy that if somebody else
can do it, then I can too.
I thank you for the help. Mike