News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

'50 A-arm on a '49?

Started by Thomas Bredahl, January 10, 2010, 04:35:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas Bredahl

I am preparing to rebuild the chassis on my '49 6207

As the lever action shocks (which serves as the upper A-arms in front) are extremely expensive, I am wondering if the 1950 upper A-arm can be fitted to my front suspension?

We are talking at least $1.500 for the two front shocks incuding shipping, taxes and cores.

Anyway.. just a thought. Has anyone done it?

Thomas
Thomas
Copenhagen - Denmark

Roger Zimmermann

Thomas, I believe it will not be cheaper to "just" install the '50 upper arm: the lower A arm is not identical between 1949 and 1950, as well as the front cross member. To attach the upper A arms, you will have to find a 1950 frame or just the front cross member and replace the '49 cross member with the '50 on your frame.
If all this will be cheaper?
Roger
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Thomas Bredahl

Thanks Roger,

I had a feeling it would require the '50's crossmember.... now I know  :-\

Do you know if I can find an exploded view of the original shocks?

Thomas
Thomas
Copenhagen - Denmark

Sweede64

Thomas Karlström

Jeff Maltby 4194

Thomas my good friend. Apple rebuilt my front shocks in 1986 with heavy duty valving for $187 a pair. I never installed them on my sedan back then so they went on my coupe in 96.  I have a complete 50 sedan front frame sitting here also. I'll measure it and compare to my 49 frame just to see. Any luck on the master engine rebuild kit ? I paid $300 for a YNZ dash to engine harness in 86 also. Now there $1,000 plus. No inflation over the years ?

Jeffo :<)
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Thomas Bredahl

Jeffo my pal,

I am coming to understand (during our msn chat this evening) that I will be better off staying with the OEM stuff.
Thanks for all your help!!!
Thomas
Copenhagen - Denmark