News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Takinng out a dash

Started by fnoti, January 13, 2010, 10:08:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fnoti

Hello everyone:

This week I am going to be taking on the undertaking of taking out my dash to have it sent to just dashes for a redo.  I have never done this before and was wondering if anyone has any tips or ideas as to how to take this dash board out.  I see there is a screw near the drivers side near the headlight switch, but other that that I think I'm going to have to look around.  Are there any books out there or instructions on the net as how to get this out.  On another note I will be selling the dash trim that is in the car now.  The chrome piece that holds the radio and is under the dash pad.  The one in my car now is beautiful but is a 60, and I plan on putting a 59 piece into the car.  So if anyone needs it please let me know.  I will post pics once I get the pieces out.

Bill Hedge CLC 14424

I have not worked on a 60 dash.  However, I have worked on a 59, and I believe that they are the same dash.  While it is not rocket science, it is definitely not a ten minute job.  It's awkward and takes some patience and time.  I had a friend who is more mechanically inclined than I and who is familiar with, and owns several Cadillacs.  I would recommend against trying to do this when you are tired or likely to be interrupted.  Be very careful and take detailed notes and pictures.  I guarantee that once you get ready to reinstall the dash you will have forgotten some step.  I have attached the appropriate pages from the 59 shop manual which should be of assistance.

I will have to give you my instructions from memory since it has been several years since I did this.  Although it is not necessary, it is very helpful to have someone assist you.  Remove the chrome from the side of the windshield.  Remove the screws holding the instrument cluster to the dash.  Remove the power window eschuteons and remove the screws just under the lip of the dash top along the chrome fascia on the dash.  Remove the radio control knobs and the nuts holding the radio to the dash.  Remove the headlight switch.  This is done by pulling out the knob that you pull to turn on the lights.  I do not recall for sure, but I think that there is a button on the bottom of the switch that you push in to allow the knob to come out all the way.  You will have to crawl under the dash to see it. I believe that there is a nut that attaches the light switch to the dash which has to be removed.  If you have cruise control you will have to remove the knob that sets the speed control unit.  Once this is done, you should be able to lift up the dash. The dash top should be lose at this point , but you can't get it out of the car.  This is the point at which an extra pair of hands will be very much appreciated.  If you are performing this removal by yourself, I would recommend a 2X4 or some other object to hold up the dash while removing the autronic eye and whatever other items you find attached to the dash from the underside.  This is also a good time to look under the dash and get a good look at how things are assembled.  This will be VERY helpful when you reinstall.  Toward the front of the dash where the dash meets the windshield, you should notice two places (one on each side of the dash) where there appear to be two hooks or hinges.  This again is a point where an extra set of hands is helpful since this dash is heavy, large and awkward for one person to handle.   Tilt the dash upwards and then pull toward you (away from the windshield) and the dash should come out fairly easily.  It is important to notice how the dash is attached at this point so that you can reinstall it properly when the dash is repaired.  You will notice that there still two small end pieces that remain to be removed.  Although they are generally not as deteriorated as the dash, remove and have them refinished so that everything matches once the dash is reinstalled.

It sounds complicated, but if you have any mechanical experience you'll get through it painlessly. If you have problems performing this procedure, either telephone or email me and I will do my best to help you. 

eldo59

Easy job.
Takes about 45 mins and thats going slow.
Helps to have someone stand outside the car to pass the dash to.

No need to remove the chrome from the side of the windshield or the power window eschuteons.The screws holding the instrument cluster to the dash only get removed once dash is out of the car.

OK,
Step 1: Disconnect the battery,the odmeter reset stem and remove the steering wheel, once its out you'll see how much more room you have to work in.

Step 2: Remove the plate just under the steering colum then remove the gear selector pointer.

Step 3: Remove 5 or 6 screws from the chrome piece that holds the radio and is under the dash pad.Remove two screws just above the heater and ac/ventilation controls and the screw just above the headlight switch.

Step 4: Raise the dash pad high enough to gain access to disconnnect the wiring harnesses and put a couple of 2x4 in between the upper and lower dash.

Step 5: With the 2x4's in place disconnect the wiring harness on both sides of the instrument cluster,the speedometer cable,the clock,the ignition switch and the headlight switch.If your car has the autronic eye disconnect the plug from the box behind the driver side kick panel.If you have cruise don't forget to diconnect that. (staight forward)

Step 6: With everthing disconnected take the 2x4's out, rest the upper dash back onto the lower dash,take a deep breath or have a coffee break.Then put your fingers into the windshield demister slots at the front of the dash pad and gently lift to unhook the dash from the cowl retainers.(this is a bit tricky,you may have to pull and push the dash pad in and out a few times before dash unhooks from the retainers)Once dash pad unhooks,pull the dash pad toward you,lifting it at the same time until you have it completly in your hands and pass it to someone outside of the car.Or if on your own rest it on your lap and slide out of the car with it.(dash pad is heavy)
I've never had to pull out the chrome piece that holds the radio but I'm sure once you have the dash pad off,it shouldn't be that hard.
You may as well pull apart the instrument cluster and give everything a good clean and replace all the globes.

I'd come over and help if I could but it's a long way to come from the other side of the Atlantic.

A couple of photo's with dash pad removed.
Mauro Bonfitto

eldo59

Quote from: fnoti on January 19, 2010, 12:25:41 PM
Thanks Mario, How to I take head light switch out and so on,  Im asking just so I can have some idea when I go to start doing this.  Last nite I took out the steering wheel and think I'd like to atempt the pad tonight or this weekend.
You can take out the headlight/ignition switch and the clock after you have taken dash pad out.Just remember to unplug the wiring and the light globes from the clock and light/ignition switch first.
To take the headlight switch out,you have to press the spring loaded button at the bottom were the wiring plugs into the switch and at the same time pull the knob all the way out.Then you just unscrew it from the dash.
Hope this all makes sense.
Mauro Bonfitto

Bill Hedge CLC 14424

Frank:

One thing that you may want to consider is replacing all of the light bulbs in the instrument cluster etc.  They are probably 50+ years old, and it will never be easier  to easier.

Otto Skorzeny

Yah, sometimes changing the oil turns into a total restoration.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE