News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

38 LaS engine rebuild

Started by Nilsen, January 13, 2010, 12:19:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nilsen

Doing a full resto on a '38 LaSalle CPE.  Down to the frame and looking for an engine guy (preferably in or near Ca).  Also any leads on suspension, rear end, brakes, parts, etc. would be much appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

Tim

Mark Lowery

Tim,
I guess I'm addressing the "etc." first.  Once you get it down to a bare frame, I would heartily recommend Platinum Powercoating, Inc. in Chico (530) 342-9225.  I see you are in Wilton, south of Sacto, so once you have the frame loaded onto a trailer, its not that far up 99 to Chico, and besides, you can stop at the Sierra Nevada Brewery on the way out to have lunch and lay in provisions!  Platinum works closely w/ a nearby Media Blaster (Arbogast) and once you leave the frame w/ Lloyd at Platinum, he will make all arrangements.  In my case (37 LaSalle sedan), there were some cracked welds in the frame and Lloyd handled getting them welded up by  a regular customer that brings him ornamental iron work and regularly comes by w/ a portable welding rig.  All very reasonable and very nice work.  This is a small enterprise (owner and maybe two employees) and that same owner takes a real personal interest in your work.  It also doesn't hurt that he is a confirmed Gear Head.  He is doing my differential housing in the same satin black now.

Platinum also now has the appropriate color powder on hand for any of the engine components.  Don't know what color your wheels are, but w/ Lloyd's help I came up w/ the perfect match for Flare Red in powder.  It appears that in 38 Flare Red was dropped, but again if the wheels are other than a match for the body color (what will that be?), I think you'll find a good match in powder.  Mine are being pinstripped in nearby Paradise, again a recommendation by the owner of Platinum, Lloyd Knifong

More later on suspension, but no doubt you've seen the recent post concerning Betts Springs.

Mark Lowery, CLC#25216