News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Hybernating Hydramatic in a 54

Started by okccadman, January 15, 2010, 12:22:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

okccadman

Im reviving a 54 sedan that hasnt left the garage since 1974.  Motor turns over nicely by hand.  Any hints for teh transmission besides fresh fluid?  My tranny guy says they can stick in reverse if you dont drive them a little befroe trying backing.  Anyone experienced this?  Any other suggestions and tips appreciated.
Jim Jordan CLC# 5374
Oklahoma City, OK

55 Series 62 Sedan
56 Series 62 Coupe
56 Fleetwood 75 Derham Limo
59 Fleetwood Sixty Special
66 Fleetwood Brougham
66 Superior Hearse/Ambulance
67 Fleetwood Sixty Special
68 Fleetwood Eldorado
76 Coupe de Ville d'Elegance
90 Brougham
92 Fleetwood Coupe
93 Allante
94 Fleetwood Brougham
02 Eldorado Commemorative Edition

David King (kz78hy)

Jim

Here is a trick an older guy had me do when I woke up a 57 Fleetwood that had been asleep for 30 years.
He insisted that the rear end was jacked up and put on stands, the tires being just off the ground.  It was not that big a deal since I had to go through the brakes anyway, but when the car was finally started, the car was placed in neutral and let warm up for a while.  When warm, then it was shifted into drive and let idle and gradually sped up enough to allow the trans to start to shift up through the gears.  Then placed in reverse and allowed to go for awhile.

The theory here was to allow the seals which should be hard from sitting to not be under a severe load during the initial start.  Since there is minimal stress on the trans this way, it protects the seals until they get a chance to limber up.

He swore by it, and in this case, the car had no trans issues.  It was 20k car and in very good shape so maybe that helped.  The car drove out very well and shifted perfectly.

Just one for you to consider.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

okccadman

Thanks David!  This 54 has 45,000 one owner miles and hopefully will have similar results.
Jim Jordan CLC# 5374
Oklahoma City, OK

55 Series 62 Sedan
56 Series 62 Coupe
56 Fleetwood 75 Derham Limo
59 Fleetwood Sixty Special
66 Fleetwood Brougham
66 Superior Hearse/Ambulance
67 Fleetwood Sixty Special
68 Fleetwood Eldorado
76 Coupe de Ville d'Elegance
90 Brougham
92 Fleetwood Coupe
93 Allante
94 Fleetwood Brougham
02 Eldorado Commemorative Edition

Brett Cottel

Sounds wise to me...I think I'll do that to my 55....has 60K on it and been sitting 7-8 years.
Brett
1955 Cadillac Meteor Combination Coach
CLC #27535
Pic's at http://s981.photobucket.com/albums/ae293/brettcottel/

Kevin Kenneally

I have a '55 with 20,100 original miles and used a can of Seafoam Trans True when the tranny got stuck and it cleaned it up real nice.  My mechanic said he didn't think the pan had ever been dropped..  Drained and put fresh fluid in, runs like a top1  Good Luck!  Kevin