News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1989 Sedan DeVille using oil

Started by Cheryl, January 17, 2010, 08:59:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cheryl

I am thinking of keeping a 1989 DeVille that was owned for 10 years (and well maintained) by my father until his death and then driven by my mother-in-law for the next 10 years.  It just turned over to 100,000 miles and seems to be in pretty good condition still, other than it uses a lot of oil.  I haven't driven an older car in many years (I've been leasing) and wonder if this would be a good idea to keep the car.  Obviously, it has sentimental value.

Otto Skorzeny

How much is a lot?  Does it smoke when you drive it? Maybe it's not "using" oil, just leaking it?

If it runs fine and it doesn't look like you're fogging for mosquitoes when you go down the road, I wouldn't worry about it - just enjoy it.

Perhaps with regular driving it will fix itself. 100,000 miles in 20 years is not very much.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

gmcharley

Quote from: Otto Skorzeny on January 17, 2010, 09:33:47 AM
How much is a lot?  Does it smoke when you drive it? Maybe it's not "using" oil, just leaking it?

If it runs fine and it doesn't look like you're fogging for mosquitoes when you go down the road, I wouldn't worry about it - just enjoy it.

Perhaps with regular driving it will fix itself. 100,000 miles in 20 years is not very much.

No, it isn't smoking :) (good thing) and that's a good thought about regular driving.  I think the only problem I know of, other than the oil, is the air conditioner quit last summer.  I was thinking it's probably worth it to put some money in it and keep it going.  Any ideas how much is too much to spend on getting it up to par?