News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Removing Steering Wheel

Started by fnoti, January 18, 2010, 12:11:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fnoti

Ok so today I decided to try and take the dash out, here I am 30 minutes into it and I hit a snag.  I was taking the steering wheel out to have more room.  I took out the center cap, removed the side arms and now am at a point where I am stuck.  According to the manual you need some tool to remove the center piece to get wheel off.  If thats true im done for the day.  I have a pic of where I am up too so far, any advice?

mgrab

You need a puller to get that off....probably need one for 1/4-20 bolts....rests on the center spindle tread into the two holes either side and ratchet away.
I don't recommend this but has worked for junkyard wheels.  Have one person pull the wheel with as much force as possible and have a second person hit the center spindle with a hammer a couple times (without hitting the first guy).  Works if you only care about the wheel itself.....doesn't look like it would work for you...you would gnarl it up pretty good....
Mike
1941 Cadillac 6267D
1948 Packard Custom Eight Victoria
1956 Oldsmobile 88 Sedan

Sweede64

there are threads in the two holes, you need a puller like this, http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WMR-W80651/, or you can make one from skratsh
Thomas Karlström

Quentin Hall Australia

There is an easy way to get it off and you don't need a special puller. Put the nut back on and mark semicircles on the nut where the holes either side of the nut are. Take the nut and grind away these semicircles and suddenly your nut becomes the puller.
     Put it back on just enough to have full thread cover and put in two bolts either side and away you go. I have done this successfully on all my cars 53, 57 and 59. Somtimes you may need to get some tension on the bolts and then give a whack side on to release the shaft but I have never had one the didn't pop.
      Hope this helps. Q

The Tassie Devil(le)

I agree with DavidP.

BE VERY CAREFUL with the plastic centre piece.

What I did was construct my own puller out of a piece of flat steel, with holes for the bolts, and a threaded hole for the "Puller" bolt.

Place the Nut back on the Shaft by a couple of turns, then place a nut on the centre bolt and a washer under the nut so the pressure was resting on the nut on the Steering shaft, and not the plastic.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Frank,When putting the wheel back on, simply align it straight ahead, or with the mark you put there to show you which spot it goes back on, and tighten up the attaching nut till tight.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   You did make a note of where it sat before you removed it ;)
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV