News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Suspension on my 83 Eldo

Started by Rick Biarritz, January 22, 2010, 09:22:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Biarritz

My Eldo doesn't feel quite right.  I drove this other guy's 83 Eldo the other day, and, sure enough, there was a world of difference.  His was so much smoother.  It is most noticable especially when I go over a bump; it feels just like going over a bump in my Dodge pickup -- very rough and jarring.  I had an 85 Brougham for 10 years, and a 95 Town Car for six years, so I know what they're supposed to feel like.  What causes this?  Shock absorbers, springs?  I've been told that the air ride doesn't affect ride quality at all -- it only keeps the car level when you have a big load in the trunk.  True?  False?  Thanks.   

Rick Biarritz

Oh, as far as I know, this Eldo does NOT have the touring suspension.  There would be an identifying badge if it did have touring suspension, right?

Dave Shepherd

Yes it would have the logo on the trunk, many things can cause what you feel, tire pressure, tire design, incorrect shocks, if the level ride is inop the suspension in the rear would be down causing the springs to compress and as a result the ride would be stiff.

Rick Biarritz

Hmmm.  I will have to check out the level ride.  Do you have any tips on that?  I'm a bit clueless on all this.  I notice that the brain of the unit has what looks like a fitting for a tire pressure gauge.  Is that really what that is, or does it merely look that way?  Thanks. 

mgbeda

If the level ride was still hooked up and not working the back of the car would be dragging like a low-rider.  There are two ways to get rid of the system, which happens pretty often with cars this age.  One way, probably the easiest, is to replace the factory rear air shocks with generic air shocks that one pumps up manually with air at a gas station.  The other way, the more correct way, is to replace the shocks with conventional ones AND replace the springs with stiffer springs made for a car without level-ride.  (The level-ride springs are softer than normal because they count on the air shocks to give some support.)  Either way (or, of course, if the level ride is working right) your car should ride okay, and if it didn't the first sign would be that the back was sagging.  So if the car sits level, no need to worry about the level ride.

Tires and tire pressure make a really obvious difference in ride quality; check those first.  A former owner might have replaced the shocks with really firm ones.  A seized up ball joint could make for a rough and squirrely ride, but that's pretty rare I think.  Bushings tend to wear out, but that would make for lots of clunking noises.  My bet is the tires, or just too much air pressure in them.

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)

bcroe

While you are checking the suspension, see what shape the body mounts are in.  I had a very smooth car suddenly getting a lot rougher, as the mounts started going.  Bruce Roe CLC # 14630

76eldo

Here's a way to check out what's going on.

First, are your factory rear air shocks connected?  As stated, they may be rigged up to a fitting in the trunk or behind the license plate if someone replaced the shocks and did not reconnect them to the factory setup.  You should have two fittings on the left shock, and a line bringing air over to the right shock.

You have to crawl under to check.  Is there too much air in the shocks?  Is there NO air in the shocks?  The rear won't fall like a Lincoln because they use air bags to hold up the car.  Your Eldorado has rear coil springs, so if the shocks are deflated, it will sag a bit and ride poorly.

To test the system:

1.  Turn the key to "Run" but do not start the car.

2.  Take the gear selector out of "Park", put it into "Reverse" and back into "Park".

3.  In less than 20 seconds, the air ride pump should turn on for about 10 seconds and the dash light should come on too.

If not, you need to check out the compressor for the air ride.  If you do not have a factory service manual, you should get one ASAP if you really are serious about working on your car.  If you don't have one, email me and i can look through my stuff and sell you one.

Good Luck,

Brian

Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

TJ Hopland

I presume that era Eldo (and seville) the air ride was standard equipment?    How about Rivs and Toros?  If they did not come standard I could see where it would be easy to get non air ride parts as replacements.  Did the Sevilles have stiffer rear springs since they may have been more likely to be carrying rear passengers?  Or was that one of the reasons for the air ride?
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

76eldo

All the Eldos and Sevilles had the air ride.  If the Riv's and Toro's didn't, I would be surprised.

It's a simple system, and there are a lot of parts cars out there, so these can be maintained.

A shop manual is very important.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv