News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Ordering paint from a 1961 RM, Ditzler, or Dupont Formula Number

Started by Dan LeBlanc, January 24, 2010, 01:01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan LeBlanc

My 1961 Fleetwood lower dash has been painted the wrong colour.  Someone at one point took the easy route and painted the lower part of the dash Nautilus blue to match the outside of the car.  According to the Authenticity manual, there were colour choices to harmonize with the rest of the interior.  I have found that with my interior, the lower dash should be Windsor Blue Metallic.  I understand that it's not supposed to be shiny, but, rather, have an unpolished lacquer look.  That should be easily achievable by just spraying it with the proper basecoat, no clear, and should get the effect I'm after.  My problem is, however, that I can only find the 1961 RM, Ditzler, and Dupont formula numbers and would like this to be mixed either in ChromaBase, or Nason FulBase (I'd consider other brands if I had to).  A camera match is out of the question as the pieces were painted inside and out.  Can anyone help cross-reference these formulae into something modern I can work with?

I see the green 1961 in the Authenticity manual had no trouble doing this, so I'm hoping someone can help me here.  The formula numbers are in the picture below.

Thanks,

Dan
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

From the original formula info you have, a good local automotive paint store should be
able to mix you up a match with whatever type paint you want.

You also should check with Tower Paint, who can mix you up a match and put it in spray
cans or whatever package you want.  A few cans should do the job you need nicely.

I have bought from them before -- their color matches are spot on.

http://www.towerpaint.com/

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

RobW

Basecoat is not the same finish as the original semi-gloss lacquer. You can still get the ditzler formulas made in PPG dura-cryl DDL which will look better than whatever else you use. I recently had a pint of white made for the moldings on my 73 vinyl top from the original formula. The Kemperle store in Portchester NY got it for me from one of their stores in CT. It was a perfect match to the NOS top.
Rob Wirsing

Sweede64

Dont use basecoat without clear, it cant take abuse and will wear off in time. Try theese guys, they seems to have wath you need.
http://www.tcpglobal.com/autocolorlibrary/
Thomas Karlström

Dan LeBlanc

I still want that satiny look.  Shiny will show fingerprints (did that in my 1962 Coupe and will never do that again).  Then again, there's the semi-gloss clear that rat-rodders seem to be so fond of.

Unfortunately, paint stores around here have pretty incompetent staff - if I bring them the formula number, they'll give me a blank stare.  I might just have to get it online and ship it somewhere in the US where I can go pick it up.  Unfortunately, the dangerous goods shipment charges to Canada are extreme.
Dan LeBlanc

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Your best bet would be to order it in acrylic lacquer.  Just don't buff it out and you will
achieve the "semi gloss" look that you're after.

As to the hazardous shipping laws, good luck.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Dan LeBlanc

Thanks Lou.  Hopefully when I get the dash fully disassembled, I'll find a patch of original color big enough to get a color scan done.  That would be the easiest, I think.
Dan LeBlanc

RobW

Lou
I think its still available in dura-cryl ddl acrylic lacquer.
The boys in portchester got it for me from a store in CT not sure which one.
I gave them the ditzler formula # and they made a pint for vinyl top moldings in the correct semi-gloss.
Rob Wirsing

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

I went down this road a few years back for the colours on my 54. I contacted PPG direct at their head office and I got a lot of help. They do have suppliers that mix paint to the old codes. There is also someone who advertises in Hemmings. The formula on the old code is no use as that is for an obsolete paint system. The other way is to get a sample of the colour and have it spectorographically matched - this is what I ended up doing as I live in the UK and shipping "hazardous" paint was very expensive.
Phil