News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1957 Cadillac Eldorado Power steering pump rebuild or not rebuild ????

Started by Bill Balkie 24172, January 26, 2010, 12:31:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Balkie 24172

Last month i noticed my Generater was making a slight noise . I thought it would be a good time to have the unit rebuilt . Found a guy in Riverton New Jersey just a couple of miles away the does Quality work and the price is fair . The bearing was shot and also scored the armature . so i felt good about getting the unit rebuilt .  So i removed the Starter and had that serviced as well .  Now i am looking at the power steering pump and wondering about that as well .  I have to tell you , i do not mind removing the starter and generater , but i am not that familiar with power steering pumps and as far as i know there is nothing wrong with it .    I decided to purchase  a used one on ebay , i won it for $14.00. It just came today and it looks fairly clean , the pulley turns smooth .  I would like to disassemble the unit find out about the bearings and try to rebuild it just to have as a spare.My question is ...... Is this something that i would need special tool for ? Does anything ever go wrong with these units ? should i send it out and have a professional look at it ? Or should i just put it on the shelf and keep it just in case ?  And if and when a power steering pump goes bad does it give you a warning ? I love to use this time of year to keep my car healthy . although i do not drive my car much in the winter time , It makes it that much better when the weathers gets nice again .

Thanks Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

J. Gomez

Quote from: Bill Balkie 24172 on January 26, 2010, 12:31:57 PM
    Last month i noticed my Generater was making a slight noise . I thought it would be a good time to have the unit rebuilt . Found a guy in Riverton New Jersey just a couple of miles away the does Quality work and the price is fair . The bearing was shot and also scored the armature . so i felt good about getting the unit rebuilt .  So i removed the Starter and had that serviced as well .  Now i am looking at the power steering pump and wondering about that as well .  I have to tell you , i do not mind removing the starter and generater , but i am not that familiar with power steering pumps and as far as i know there is nothing wrong with it .    I decided to purchase  a used one on ebay , i won it for $14.00. It just came today and it looks fairly clean , the pulley turns smooth .  I would like to disassemble the unit find out about the bearings and try to rebuild it just to have as a spare.My question is ...... Is this something that i would need special tool for ? Does anything ever go wrong with these units ? should i send it out and have a professional look at it ? Or should i just put it on the shelf and keep it just in case ?  And if and when a power steering pump goes bad does it give you a warning ? I love to use this time of year to keep my car healthy . although i do not drive my car much in the winter time , It makes it that much better when the weathers gets nice again .

Thanks Bill

Bill,

There is not much involved in rebuilding the P/S pump, and no special tools. There are two bearings front (seal type) and at the rear of the body (needle type) that would required a punch tool to remove them and there is also the oil seal.

I rebuilt my working and spare pump for my 1956 and it was simple.

You could buy the seal kit I’ve seen them around $50 on eBay , these are the “O” rings gaskets, and seals only. The bearings should be National Parts (aka BCA) 203 (front) and 201 (rear), the seal should be National Parts 8059S. If you know of a hydraulic shop you could get the “O” rings for a few cents each, and make your own gaskets for the reservoir to pump.

If you have the manual just follow the instruction, it should be a straight forward process.

Good luck
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Bill Balkie 24172

Thanks Jose,
  I am going to disassemblle the unit today . i just did not want any surprizes . when i recieved the P/S pump it had a tag attached to it ... came from a car with air conditioning , , I think they are all the same . Do you know for sure ? And Again thank you so much for helping me out .   
Quote from: Jose Gomez CLC #23082 on January 26, 2010, 02:14:51 PM
Bill,

There is not much involved in rebuilding the P/S pump, and no special tools. There are two bearings front (seal type) and at the rear of the body (needle type) that would required a punch tool to remove them and there is also the oil seal.

I rebuilt my working and spare pump for my 1956 and it was simple.

You could buy the seal kit I’ve seen them around $50 on eBay , these are the “O” rings gaskets, and seals only. The bearings should be National Parts (aka BCA) 203 (front) and 201 (rear), the seal should be National Parts 8059S. If you know of a hydraulic shop you could get the “O” rings for a few cents each, and make your own gaskets for the reservoir to pump.

If you have the manual just follow the instruction, it should be a straight forward process.

Good luck

Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

J. Gomez

Quote from: Bill Balkie 24172 on January 27, 2010, 06:24:23 AM
Thanks Jose,
  I am going to disassemblle the unit today . i just did not want any surprizes . when i recieved the P/S pump it had a tag attached to it ... came from a car with air conditioning , , I think they are all the same . Do you know for sure ? And Again thank you so much for helping me out .   

Bill,
Sure NP, and YW..!

Yes they are the same with or w/o A/C; the only different P/S pump would be for air suspension w/o the pulley.

One note, you will notice an arrow stamped on the side of the cam (center piece), just keep the same direction once you put it all together. This mark indicates the rotation of the pump.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082