News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Headliner Help on 59 Sixty Special

Started by Jeff Wilk, January 26, 2010, 07:50:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Wilk

Hello....first time forum user here so I apologize upfront if I get it, or do something, wrong.  Working on a 59 Fleetwood Sixty Special I've had for 30 years.  I need to replace the headliner and see several firms offering exact reproductions.  My big questions is how do I replace it once it arrives?  I have not removed the old one and don't know if it is on a backing board, bows, glued, or ????? Any guidance on the "how to" part would help along with a supplier of choice.  Looking at SMS Fabric and USA Parts Supply.  Thanks....
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

Otto Skorzeny

SMS supplies a first rate product. USA buys there's from someone else - maybe even SMS.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

J. Gomez

Quote from: Jeff Wilk on January 26, 2010, 07:50:23 PM
Hello....first time forum user here so I apologize upfront if I get it, or do something, wrong.  Working on a 59 Fleetwood Sixty Special I've had for 30 years.  I need to replace the headliner and see several firms offering exact reproductions.  My big questions is how do I replace it once it arrives?  I have not removed the old one and don't know if it is on a backing board, bows, glued, or ????? Any guidance on the "how to" part would help along with a supplier of choice.  Looking at SMS Fabric and USA Parts Supply.  Thanks....

Jeff,

I’ve tackled the replacement of the headliner on my 1956 sedan, one note although is I made the headliner myself.

If you have the manual handy just follow the steps, if yours have bows, keep them in the same sequence, place a tape around each and number them.

The left and right side should have metal spike-strips the length of the windows to tug the fiber inside; you may need a spatula to relief the tension and loosen the fiber from the spikes.

The front and rear should be stapled to a fiber strip around the top of the glass weather strip, on the sides around the rear vent windows it could be glued, same as the front around the sun visor area.

There would also be a fiber glass insulation sandwich between the headliner and roof glue to the roof.

Tools would be you regular hand tools, I’ve used and old metal spatula and rap it with blue (painter) tape for extra protection. The only special tool would be the upholstery stapler to tack the front and rear, and for glue I’ve used 3M Supper 77.

Last but not least an extra pair of hands would be a great asset during the installation. In my case that was the more expensive item while doing the headliner, specially with family members, pay back was _____..!  ;D

Other members could provide additional feedback.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

David Greenburg

Jeff:

Wow! 30 years- even longer than I've had mine (25 years).  About 20 years ago, I replaced my headliner, and can't say I remember a lot of the specifics other than it was not much fun and is definitely a 2 person job.  The critical thing I do remember is that the 60S headliner is unique compared to the other models in that there are steel rods that run paralell to the body that hold the thing up.  Be sure that whoever you are buying it from is aware of this; a deville/series 62 headliner won't work.  As I recall, you install the rods and then glue down the edges.  Or maybe I just wound up gluing mine down trying to get it to sit/hang right.  Check your shop manual; I think it may cover this, at least in general terms.  I've always wondered why the 60S headliner was hung differently.  Is it supposed to be more luxurious or quieter or something?  Or was it just something they did to justify the higher price?

David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Joe Puleo CLC #13617

Jeff,

I requested a sample of the headliner fabric from SMS for my Fleetwood and it is exact. They will sell you the fabric or "made up". Now sure what "made up" is, maybe they sew in the pleats for you?

Regards,
Joe
Joe Puleo