News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

NY State DMV Raises Fees on Historical/Vintage Registration

Started by RobW, January 27, 2010, 05:58:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobW

Guess NY State DMV raised the fees on vintage and historical registrations. Got the renewal for my 73 caddy with historical registration and vintage plates. The old fee was $23 for a year. The new fee is $53.75!
For historical plates it looks like it went from $23 to $28.75 + $15 use fee. I can't download form mv440v that is supposed to have the fees listed. I'm guessing its the same $43.75 as above + a $10 fee for using the original plates?
So unless it goes by weight, which I doubt, my 78 elky will go up to the same $53.75 as will my 71 Torino.
Seems a bit extreme to more than double the fees on a resticted use vehicle. These vehicles can't be driven daily and can only be used for exhibition, parades and club activities.
Rob Wirsing

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

We're lucky here in PA.  When you register an antique (25 years old or older) you pay
a one time fee for the plate and registration.  It's then yours for life.  The last time
I did this, (about 15 years ago) it was around $100 which is a real deal.  No yearly inspections
or other fees apply.  The fee is still the same today.

Limited use restrictions apply and you must provide proof that you have another vehicle
registered for daily driving.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Art Director

For collector plates in Colorado, you pay a minimum of $190, but your registration is good for five years.

The fee used to be around $150, but the state raised the price to fix the roads and bridges. After heavy lobbying by the old-car community, the state agreed that if you own multiple classic cars, you pay an extra $41 on only one car in your fleet. At least you don't have to have your old car smog tested except when you first buy it.
Tim Coy
CLC Southwestern Regions Vice President
Interim Western Regions Vice President
Art Director, The Self-Starter, International Membership Directory
Life member, Rocky Mountain Region
CLCMRC Benefactor #102

1963 Six-Window Sedan de Ville
1972 Fleetwood Brougham - RIP
1988 Sedan de Ville - RIP
2001 Eldorado ESC - RIP
2003 DeVille DTS - sold

EAM 17806

As broke as Rhode Island is they only pay $5.00 a year with no inspections and no verification needed for a daily driver. However, in RI you can have DUAL registrations, one antique and one regular, with an antique plate on the rear and the regular one on the front so you will be able to drive anywhere anytime.  EAM
Ev Marabian

1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 1990 Pontiac Bonneville and 1996 Buick Skylark

Otto Skorzeny

Georgia is a flat $20 for the tag plus ad valorum tax. On old cars the ad valorum tax is only $4.10 in Fulton county. It's even less in other counties.

On an expensive new car the ad valorum tax is hundreds or even thousands of dollars per year.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Sweede64

Here in Sweden i pay 8 bucks a year in registration fee for +30 year car, no limitation in use, for full covery insurance, unlimited use il pay $500, if i want to i can insure it as a historical vehichle and pay $120 in insurance. But then there is limitation in use and a approved storage facility is mandated.   
Thomas Karlström

J. Gomez

In Texas I pay $63.80 for a five year registration, you get a small id plate to place new renewal stickers. I was lucky of register her with a set of original 1956 TX license plates. Classic insurance is about $112 with limited usage about 3000 miles a year, I assume unlimited miles would be around $500-$600, but have not verify with Heacok Insurance.
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

jim CLC#15000

WA state tab fees are $43.75 PER YEAR, DRIVE AS  MUCH AS YOU LIKE. NO SMOGE CHECK,EVER. Aldo, there is a $12.50 FEE IF YOU BRING IN THE CAR. YOU CAN GET PPERMINT PLATES  FOR ABOUt $15.00 per year.  JIM

Don Boshara #594

In 1983 in Florida I paid a one time $10 fee for the tag for my '40 Cadillac. There are use restrictions, but I've never seen them enforced. I don't know what the fee is now.
1940 Sixty Special
1966 Mustang Cpe

jeff1956

In arkansas the cost is 7.00 for the lifetime plate and registration certificate, 5.00 for the title, and then 2.50 misc fee.  All for 14.50!  You do have to prove you have another vehicle to drive, but there is no use restriction on the Arkansas antique plates, or condition requirement....I see POS beaters that are 25 years old riding around on antique plates....my 1955 S&S hearse even has antique plates assigned to it and it's in-op without an engine and trans, but I had to buy em in order to get a clear title in hand..  They are yours for life and fully transferrable for a 5.00 title fee if you trade cars.  The one I have on my 56 Fleetwood, I originally had installed on a canary yellow 57 Chevy 4 door hardtop back in 1994.  I traded that 57 for my first cadillac, a chantilly maroon/alpine white 56 Sedan De Ville, and haven't looked back since!

Jeff

dadscad

Jeff,

Thanks for posting the Arkansas requirements. I always thought there was a mileage restriction, so I've always purchased the regular tag for my 63. I've been donating too much money to the DMV!

Hope the weather does not cramp your style this weekend!

David
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

Ted in Olympia WA

The CPI or inflation is zero (says the government) but they all are going broke and need more money; but "the people" do not need anymore and most wages are frozen.  At the beginning of the year most utilities went up about 5% but I guess this is not part of the CPI.

In Washington you can get permanent plates and never have to pay a fee again for cars 25 years and older.  But you are limited in use to only going to shows or events; cannot be used for daily use.  But I have never heard of anyone being pulled over because of this and I do take my Jeepster to work several times a year.  I just figure every time I drive it, it because I want to "show" it off.

Also in Washington every vehicle must be insured except for two exceptions; classic cars with the permanent plates and all motorcycles.  Even though I know it's stilll a good idea to have insurance I'm very surprised that you do not see a lot more young kids driving motorcycles; this is the only way they can drive for almost free.

TED
Selling used Eldorado Parts from 1971-1978.  Member Number 25659.

jeff1956

dadscad,

There used to be a use restriction, but for some reason it is no longer in effect.  I'd go down and swap them....they don't come out of little rock anymore.  Your local revenue office will have the tag on the shelf waiting for you...

There is 1/2" of ice and 8" of snow on the ground and it's still sleeting.  I tried to thaw out my Impala earlier in case I needed it, but I abandoned that attempt.  I jokingly told my dad if I had to go anywhere I'd just take my 56 and he looked at me like I was crazy to which I immediately replied, " it spent 40 years of it's life in boulder, colorado, I'm sure it has seen snow before".  I was kidding of course....

Jeff

RobW

Found out the $25 is a surcharge to balance the MTA's (Metropolitan Transit Authority) budget.
Now as bad as this is, I can somewhat understand this on daily driver's which are also subject to the fee, but on a vehicle that's only to be driven to shows, exhibitions and parades?
Rob Wirsing

jeff1956

Rob,

They are probably doing it so that everyone feels that they are treated fairly.  Some states give breaks to antique car owners since they know they won't be driving them all the time....looks like NYS feels that if one person has to pay it then everyone has to pay it.  It really is only fair, but I'm just giving you the alternate point of view.  I actually don't agree with that, but just giving you what may be their point of view. I might add a fee, but it would be prorated based on the use restriction..

Jeff

TJ Hopland

MN has 'collector' plates and I believe its still a one time fee.  They have restrictions that are sort of hit and miss as far as being enforced.  Driving your 1980 rust bucket is a good way to get noticed.  Driving your restored 59 eldo wont even get a second thought unless you run into that one law enforcement person that hates everyone.  If you are bending your states rules you should also be aware that chances are good you are also not covered by your insurance policy.  Not a big deal unless you get caught or are involved in an accident.   Friend of mine was seriously injured by a classic car and insurance would not pay because the guy was on his way home from work with his car registered as a classic therefore was in violation therefore also not covered by the classic insurance because based on the plates the car was not being used legally.

I drive my classics when ever I feel like it so I dont want to take the chance on having any issues.  I think we are still under $50 a year for tabs on regular plates for an old car.  It cost me twice that in gas just to drive to my winter storage place.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

mrspeedyt

I pay $30 (and some change) for 2 year standard registration in arizona. Historical plates are more, and have no advantages (that I know of).  Phoenix and Tuscon areas have smog inspections for 1967 and later cars (perhaps they raised the cutoff date lately).      Next door neighbor of my folks in ventura, california last year paid $85 for one year standard tags on his stock model t. and that was before the increase!! :o

Arizona does nail late model car owners... when my prius was new one year tags were almost $400.....
s. twitchell

Dan Marinola

Welcome to the VAMPIRE state.I don't think there is any kind of tax or fee here in NY that hasen't been raised through the roof. I look foreward to a time when I can leave ,and get this government out of my pocket. I have had it!!!!!!
Daniel P. Marinola

35-709

I left NYS  for Florida in 1976, and other than the occasional visit I have never looked back.  Only place I might be more anxious to leave (from what I hear) is Cauliforneea.  Nothing personal against Cauliforneeans, but the state is a fiscal and illegal alien mess.
Geoff
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

jeremymcnelson