News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1968 CDV twilight sentinal and clock...

Started by Steve W, January 29, 2010, 02:09:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve W

OK...on to the next couple of projects !

I will be trying to fix the twilight sentinel. The headlight switch works, its just that the lights don't go on and off automatically, and there is no "pathway lighting" after turning the key off. So I'll be looking for advice on what to look for/fix/replace.

Also, the clock in my car is not running at all, and the stem to set the time is missing. If it is anything like the trip meter reset, it has a small, but long, allen-head screw inside the stem itself.
Anyone have any ideas where I might find the stem...or what will work as a replacement...or am I faced with trying to find another clock?  And doesnt someone do a quartz conversion? Anyone have experience with that?

Thanks.

Steve Waddington
1968 Coupe deVille
North Hollywood, CA
CLC Member # 32866

RobW

You should be able to find a clock on ebay. Even it doesn't work its probably repairable. I think a stem would be much harder to find.
I also think you should look for a factory service manual on ebay. It will have set by step procedures for fixing things such as your twilight sentinels.
Rob Wirsing

bcroe

If the twilight sentinel module seems to be bad, look for some large polarized capacitors.  Like 500 ufd.  These have a limited life, but are easily replaced.  Bruce Roe CLC # 14630

Steve W

Thanks Rob,
I DO have a factory service manual, however, sometimes someone who has had a similar experience can share tips or insights into what commonly goes wrong with specific systems or options. I learned a great deal, and saved a LOT of time and expense and effort by asking a question, similar to this one, regarding my automatic climate control. Its working great now, thanks to what I learned on this site...AND I didn't have to take the whole thing apart! That info was a lot more valuable than anything I read in the service manual.
I'm just sayin'...
Steve Waddington
1968 Coupe deVille
North Hollywood, CA
CLC Member # 32866

Glen

Steve, have you done any trouble shooting on the Twilight Sentinel yet?   Anything you found will help give us a starting point.  I assume you have read the owners manual on how to operate it. 

Glen
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Steve W

I have the owner's manual too, Glen, and it shows how to set the adjustable time delay for pathway lighting after the key is turned off, but nothing else. Its fully automatic when its on.
So, I'm guessing I have a problem with either:
1. The amplifier
2. The photocell
3. The switch itself
or
4. Any combination thereof.
Just wondering if anyone else had a similar issue, and what the fix was.
Steve Waddington
1968 Coupe deVille
North Hollywood, CA
CLC Member # 32866

RobW

Not sure what your 68 manual has, but the 73 manual has diagnostic flow charts for each of the problems you are describing. Why not just go through the list rather than waiting for hit or miss info for what 3 days now?
If you want I could scan the flow charts and either email them to you or link them here through photobucket.
I would think the years are close enough to not be completely different in theory of operation.
Rob Wirsing

Steve W

I'm not sure what the 68 manual says either...and I'm looking right at it! LOL

Yeah, I have the flow charts too. This is where I am, according to the flow chart. No blown fuses, all lights work, so next is checking the wiring between the headlight switch and the amplifier (seems OK), checking the ground and wires at the amplifier (looks good), and then...and I quote "...connect jumper wire between body ground and purple wire in amplifier 10-way connector (well, OK, I guess I'll try that next) and finally  If lights turn on, check ground path through manual-automatic switch section of turn-off time delay control."  Huh???

Anyway, I just thought I'd ask here first before going in too deep with this, that's all.
Steve Waddington
1968 Coupe deVille
North Hollywood, CA
CLC Member # 32866

Glen

Steve, the switch they are talking about is the one mounted on the headlight switch.  It is the one that turns the unit on or off. and sets the time delay.  You need to remove the headlight switch to get to it. 

Glen
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Mike GA

Steve, I had my non-working clock converted by a guy in CA (PM me if you want a name and I'll look him up).  It keeps perfect time and is cosmetically identical to before the conversion.  The only difference is the second hand sweeps smoothly.  As I understand it, a properly-working original clock ticks off a second at a time.  For the reliability, it's a change I can live with.

The factory manual says to have the original clock serviced (oiled and cleaned) every TWO YEARS.  I don't know if you've taken the clock out yet, but it's a huge pain because of the awkward angles and tight spaces.  I wouldn't even consider trying to repair it.  Replace it with a conversion. 

If yours isn't complete, talk to the conversion guy and see if he can work with it - he told me he has a lot of parts.  Otherwise I'd just pick up a whole clock on ebay.

Mike
Mike Manley
1968 Deville Convertible

Mike GA

More thoughts...

Sounds like you're missing the knob and screw, which *I think* are the same as the trip odometer reset.  Move your odo knob over to the clock to see for sure.  Sorry, it's been a few years since I had mine out.

If you're looking for just the knob, and you see some rubber companies selling a reproduction knob that's supposed to fit a 68, beware.  It's not the same knob and doesn't fit.  I don't know where they're getting their info but they're mistaken.

Mike
Mike Manley
1968 Deville Convertible

Steve W

Thanks Mike,

Actually I have the knob and screw...its the stem, or nub, that I'm missing. If you take the screw and knob off of the trip meter, you'll see what I mean...there is a nub that protudes from the actual instument, the knob and screw attach to that nub. On my trip meter, the nub is there, on the clock, it is not, so I have no way to re-set the time.
Steve Waddington
1968 Coupe deVille
North Hollywood, CA
CLC Member # 32866