News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

twelve cylinder distributor caps why the holes ??

Started by M. Patla 13876, February 02, 2010, 02:25:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M. Patla 13876

for what reason would distributor caps have 2 small holes near the base? i have several 12 cyl caps and all have it. i also have a new 16 cylinder cap in the box and it actually has 8 holes at the base, all appear factory made. why? also, does anyone have a  SHURHIT CATALOG ? I would like to identify SHURHIT C-69  it could be early sixteen cylinder cadillac . thank you and happy motoring  M.PATLA13876

Otto Skorzeny

Could they be vent holes? Most distributor caps have some sort of vent hole or holes for moisture to escape.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Mike GA

I agree with Otto - vent holes.  A distributor can build up charged air inside the cap, leading to misfire.  I can't explain the science behind "charged air", but it has happened to me and drilling holes in an unvented cap will resolve it. 

I have heard of using epoxy to secure a fine mesh screen across the holes to prevent bugs and dirt from entering the holes.  Never tried that.

Mike Manley
1968 Deville Convertible

mario

if engine gets wet it also dispells moisture buildup in cap.
ciao,
mario

Gergely Szentmartony 25603

It is not only against moisture.
There is ozone generated inside distributor cap when rotor rotates and providing high voltage pulses to spark plug. This ozone is very very reactive in nature. Its always ready to combine with any other molecule.
Arie Jan Haagen-Smit and Conrad Vleck found that rubber exposed to high smog levels cracked in just seven minutes. Thus was born one of the early methods for measuring ozone levels - stretching rubber bands around jars and timing how long the bands took to snap.
So ozone generated by the sparks inside the distributor cap can "eat" the material of the cap.
"Brougham - For all the reasons you have ever wanted a Cadillac"

www.cadillaclasalle.hu

M. Patla 13876

thank you for this information . now i have my answers thanks again  matt