News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1966 DeVille Rear Shocks

Started by Dudley.Ruffalo, February 04, 2010, 05:40:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dudley.Ruffalo

I am sure my 66 DeVille had repalcemment air shocks, usually to by pass the defunct auto leveling system. The rear shocks on the car have gone bad. I got the car 6 months ago so I do not know their age.Does anybody have a suggestion for repalcement air shocks. i have heard that uyou get air shocks, run the air feed lines to a common valve by the license plate and fill them as needed. Do I just get regular good shocks? Suggestions welcomed.

Dudley B. Ruffalo
Dudley B. Ruffalo
CLC # 22257
1966 DeVille Convertible

Chris Conklin

The Auto Level Ride on your model car would have been optional and may not have been on there to begin with. You will need the built data to know for sure, it is an "L" designation on the built data sheet but is not a trim tag item. Or check under the car on the passenger side, the line would be strapped adjacent to your fuel line and in many cases the leveling valve set-up is still sitting on the rear axle housing. For some reason, that doesn't usually get removed though it is easy to get to.

I would say to go to "normal" shocks. The only air shock set-up I've used that was installed in the manner you mention was on my El Camino. In that case, the air line inlet was right next to the gas fill spout. I've seen posts here where they run it into the trunk. This system is really not a level ride system at all, you pump it up for carrying a load (max. of around 90#) and then deflate it to a normal ride stiffness (around 30#). I don't see much use for it on a passenger car, but I didn't use it much on my El Camino either. I'm sure there are quite a few out there that will correct my thinking.
Chris Conklin

Dave Shepherd

Good info on the level ride was providied here, if you have radials I would suggest a good gas shock, KYB for instance.

Dudley.Ruffalo

Sounds like great advice, where do i get "just a good gas shock". Kanter, USA Parts?
Dudley B. Ruffalo
CLC # 22257
1966 DeVille Convertible

Otto Skorzeny

Go to any of the big chains. They should have them. They still carry shocks for my 56.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Lars Kneller 8246

Keep in mind if the car came with the leveling option, the springs are softer than a car without. You are better to stay with air shocks, or you may have to change the springs too.

Guidematic

Quote from: Lars Kneller 8246 on February 12, 2010, 05:44:54 PM
Keep in mind if the car came with the leveling option, the springs are softer than a car without. You are better to stay with air shocks, or you may have to change the springs too.

Exactly. If the car sits level now with any load in the trunk, chances are the car did not come with ALC. You should be fine with a good aftermarket shock.

If the car came with ALC, chances are it still has the original springs that allow the rear of the car to sink with any load in the trunk or back seat. You will eiother have to replace the rear springs with a set for a Non-ALC car or install air shocks.

I installed a set of Monroes on my '70 Fleetwood that has a functioning ALC system maybe 14 years ago. They still perform flawlessly.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69