News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1957 Cadillac trim question

Started by Richard Sills, February 11, 2010, 12:45:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Sills

A friend recently bought a pretty original 1957 Coupe deVille, and noticed one trim variation that appears different from other 1957 deVilles.  On the deck lid, above the large "V", this car has separate letters that spell "CADILLAC" instead of the crest. 

The deck lid has holes for each individual letter, and has no indication that a crest was ever present.  While it is always possible that this was modified by a prior owner, there is no indication of that, and it would be an unusual change since it would take a lot more work to install the separate letters.

I know that Fleetwoods and Eldorados had letters that spelled out their model designations, but has anyone ever seen these "CADILLAC" letters on the trunk lid of a 1957 deVille or Series 62?   

Otto Skorzeny

Every one I've seen has a crest in '57 and '58. I doubt a '56 truck lid would fit on a '57 so someone probably just modified it. Does seem odd but stranger things are done to cars.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Paul Flykt

I believe Cadillac spelled out above the V is correct for a Coupe de Ville, that's how mine is. My '58 series 62 had the crest above the V.

Otto Skorzeny

Of course. I skimmed over the part about it being a coupe de ville and was looking at series 62 cars. How silly of me.

fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Richard Sills

Paul is correct, and thanks also to Walter Youshock for providing good information on this question.

"CADILLAC" spelled out on the deck lid is apparently correct for a '57 deVille.  Walter points out that the 62 series had the trunk crest and the "Cadillac" front fender scripts.  The deVilles had "CADILLAC" in gold block letters on the trunk and "Sedan deVille" or Coupe deVille" in gold script on the front fenders.