News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Spark plugs L shaped ends

Started by LM 25575, February 13, 2010, 03:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LM 25575

I was thinking about fitting spark plugs L shaped ends in my '49 cadillac  instead of rubber boots. As I understand should be the original fitting. Any issues about it?
L. Marzana
- 1949 Cadillac 62 4 door
- 1981 HD FLTC

J. Friedman

Hi Luca,

'49 spark plug wires should have an L-shaped end with no boot.  See page 50 of the Authenticity Manual.  They do not cause problems. 

Jay

LM 25575

Hi Jay,

yes, I got the tip from the authenticity manual (which is a very interesting reading)a and I would go for this solution, if I find the L shaped ends. Someone told me that rubber boot would be better in order to prevent dispersion etc. So I was just wondering if it is true or not.
L. Marzana
- 1981 HD FLTC

Otto Skorzeny

In my opinion, insulated electrical connections are always better. Less dirt, moisture or corrosion to worry about.

However, you car is not a high performance race car and I doubt whether it's stored outside or driven in the rain or allowed to get dirty or corroded. Therefore, the original style connections will work just fine.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

LM 25575

Any ideas about where I can buy correct ones?
L. Marzana
- 1981 HD FLTC

Otto Skorzeny

There are many companies on the list of vendors I compiled that supply the old style plug wires.

Rock Auto lists them as does Cooper's. I think Kanter sells them too.
Click on the link in my signature.
fward

LM 25575

Thanks Otto. I did give a look to some of the vendors you have listed and wrote asking for information. But, according to some catalogs, there is nothing listed as spark plug wire L shaped end. Or maybe there is another nome for such item..
L. Marzana
- 1981 HD FLTC

Otto Skorzeny

McVey's lists them as well.

I have better luck calling companies rather than emailing.
fward

tozerco

John Tozer

'37 7513
'37 7533

tozerco

Sorry! Last link was wrong. Go to the ctalogue and search "spark Plug" at the following:

http://www.fillingstation.com/

John T
John Tozer

'37 7513
'37 7533

LM 25575

Thanks! I found these at fillingstation.com. Do some 49ers know if might be correct for my car? Thanks.
L. Marzana
- 1981 HD FLTC

Mark Lowery

LM,
This is not the answer to your question about authenticity, but I noticed one other interesting wrinkle;  They are selling them in sets of 6!  Well, naturally cause they are focused on Chevys which didn't have a V-8 until 1955.  Maybe McVey's or another Cadillac focused supplier would be a better deal unless you are looking to ordering 3 sets and then finding two other owners that need a set of 8.

Mark Lowery, CLC#25216

LM 25575

Hi Mark,

yes, they sell 6 pieces set for chevy engines. But they have even L ends without the "GM" logo and are sold not as a set. So I will go for these.
L. Marzana
- 1981 HD FLTC

J. Friedman

Luca,

A firm that can sell you the correct spark plug wires with L-shaped ends without rubber boots is the Brillman Company.  They are at 2328 Pepper Road, Mount Jackson, Virginia 22842.  Their phone number is 540-477-4112 and their web site is www brillman com.  Make sure you tell them the ends should be L-shaped without rubber boots.

Jay