News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1955 331 Cadillac

Started by Gerry, February 14, 2010, 03:41:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gerry

How do the rockers and push rods get lubricated on the 1955 Cadillac 331 engine?I always thought the oil went into the rocker shaft and out the holes but I do not see how the oil can get to the inside.The engine has been rebuilt but the top of some push rods are wearing then breaking.Gerry
Gerry Burkholder

Pat

Jerry,
The oil comes up the rocker stands through the bolt holes.You should have oil coming out of the holes and slots on the rocker shaft...if not .. the rocker shafts weren't properly cleaned during the rebuild. You might have to pull the rocker assembly out,remove cotter pins and the 9/16 cup style plugs on the ends of the shafts.If the shafts are full of crap you can use a 3/8s wooden dowel to push most of crap out..then hot tank the assembly.You can pull the rockers sideways on the shaft to check that the holes and slots are clean,lubricate,pound in new cups and reinstall washers and cotter pins and then you are good to go.
Cheers,Pat

Gerry

Thanks for the info Pat.Everything is clean.I will put a oil pressure gauge on to see what the pressure is when I get new parts installed.Gerry
Gerry Burkholder

Roger Zimmermann

There is 2 ways to install them in the engine: the right and the wrong ones! There is a mark on the shaft; this mark must be pointed towards the center of the engine. This is illustrated on the page 10-10 in the '54 shop manual.

Roger
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Gerry

Thanks Roger.Looks like the are installed on the wrong sides.Gerry
Gerry Burkholder

Otto Skorzeny

Just curious; did that carry over to the 365 in 56 or can the rocker shafts be put in either way?
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Coupe

Gerry

Check the cups on your rockers. Chances are if the push rods are breaking your rocker have worn enough at the cups that they are breaking the push rod ends. I had a bad batch of rockers for my '57. The cups were wearing causing the push rods to break.

Forrest

No they cannot. I do not know what year it changed, probably when Cadillac got rid of the shaft. I know for sure the rocker shaft is indexed at least thru '62.
1957 Coupe de Ville
1962 Sedan de Ville (4 window)
1993 Allante
1938 Chevrolet Business Coupe (Sold)
1949 Jeepster VJ-2

Gerry

Thanks Forrest.Some of the pushrods are worn to a small point on top.I am going to replace all rocker arms and push rods.Gerry
Gerry Burkholder

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: Otto Skorzeny on February 15, 2010, 03:30:39 PM
Just curious; did that carry over to the 365 in 56 or can the rocker shafts be put in either way?
Otto, you got already a response and I confirm that it's the same for 56: see the fig. 8-10 on page 8-9 of the '56 shop manual. In the '57 shop manual, it's fig. 9-9 on page 9-7.

Roger
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101