News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1929 LaSalle distributor conversion to '38 Cadilllac

Started by FRED BAUSCH, February 15, 2010, 09:45:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FRED BAUSCH

CONVERTING A 1929 LASALLE DISTRIBUTOR TO A 1938 CAD DIST. 20K miles, and 20 years after a major engine rebuild, I am doing a ring and valve job on my '29 LaSalle 328 engine. Years ago I was told that a '38 Cad dist was a virtual bolt in, and would improve performance considerably, and over the years I have accumulated '38 Cad dists and parts. Since my '29 is a driver and long distance traveler, I am not concerned about total originality. It seems that the "bolt in" description is not quite accurate. Has anyone out there done this, and can you offer hints as to what might have to be modified to accomplish this conversion? I am having trouble with the compatability of the bottom of the '38 dist, and securing it to the top of the '29 tower. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks. FRED BAUSCH - - 650-592-9159
freds29lasalle@comcast.net - - - San Carlos, CA

Wayne Womble 12210

Frankly, I don't see how it would be much better than the original. 

Carfreak

Have you considered Pertronix?   A friend installed it in his late 20s Ahrens Fox. 
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

Otto Skorzeny

Wayne poses a valid point. What do you hope to gain by changing one 6v dizzy for another? Why go through the trouble for what is essentially a zero return? Am I missing something?
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Jim Stamper

I assume 1929 is still dual point as was my 27 LaSalle. That being the case, keeping one set of points in tune should be easier than two sets, to say nothing of finding the older sets in NOS condition. The amount of built in vacuum advance would be a consideration, requiring some study.

I am not saying I would make the switch, I never tried it, just that these might well be considerations. Later ignition parts are off the shelf items.

Wayne Womble 12210

For my 31 and 33, the points and rotor are a shelf item also. NAPA point sets 777 and 778. They are for a late 40s early 50s with dual points, but work well with the older distributors.  Some have to be modified just a little. I think the points on the late 20s would be the same.