News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1973 ElDorado body fillers

Started by scott n, February 22, 2010, 02:41:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scott n

I need to replace cracked body fillers on my 1973 eldo. Is there a preferred material for these replacements? Should I be looking for fiberglass or rubber? Thanks for your help.

Dave Shepherd

There are several listings for these fillers in Hemmings News, I saw them made both ways, also abs I believe

Otto Skorzeny

Use the search function above and you'll find a thread or two on the subject with suppliers listed and detailed installation instructions with photos.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

76eldo

Stay away from fiberglass.  You want ABS fillers for sure.

Check out this web page I did on the subject:

Part 1  http://www.sheffieldgarage.com/fillers.htm

Part 2  http://www.sheffieldgarage.com/fillers2.htm

My page shows the later cars, but the info for doing a 73 will be the same.

Good Luck,

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Otto Skorzeny

That's what I'm talkin' 'bout, Willis!
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

The NOS "rubber" (actually it's polyurethane) as about impossible to find now.  I redid my
1973 Eldorado about 8 years ago and replaced everything with a mix of polyurethane and
ABS.  Bought my ABS pieces from USA Parts.

As another poster already suggested, buy the ABS type -- most all the people selling
these parts have those.  Some minor fitting may be required but that's easy to do with
a Dremel tool and some patience.  Some are already pre-primed, some not.  If not they will be
black in color.   Just prime (if needed) spray the finish coat on and you're done ( I used acrylic lacquer on my '73 Eldo, since I have the color in inventory.

BTW, the hardest part of this whole procedure is dropping the front and rear bumpers, which you must do to replace the fillers.  The front bumper is very heavy and requires a helper or at least a floor jack positioned under the middle of the bumper before you completely unbolt it.  It's
a heavy beast and comes off in one piece -- same for the rear.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

76eldo

Can't tell you anything about the 73's, but on the later cars, you can do the rears without dropping the bumper at all.  The fronts are another story.  Plan on dropping the front bumper.  I did mine with the car on a lift and 2 tall suspension stands holding the bumper while removing the bolts, and two of us lowered it to the ground.

The final position of the bumper will change and fit better once the car is back on the ground.  We were going nuts trying to adjust it on the lift, and got it really close, and then it was perfect when the weight of the car is on the wheels on the ground.  Loosening up the headlight pods was very helpful too.

Fit and finish on these 70's Cadillacs was less than precise when they were new, so with repro parts, it's even harder, but with patience, it can be done.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)