News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Jenkins Interior

Started by kyle, February 23, 2010, 08:11:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyle

Has anyone used Jenkins Interiors lately? Thinking about doing an interior and wonder if their quality is still top notch. Thanks.

P W Allen CLC# 20193

Kyle,

I used them for the interior of the trunk on my 53 coupe and new carpet. Top notch quality, but be prepared to pay for it. Not cheap.

Paul

Paul
53 Coupe
Twin Turbine

Barry M. Wheeler #2189

I "helped" Lou get started many years ago when I sold him several dealer books with samples in them. His goal was to reproduce the materials exactly. He is the one to turn to when you want only the very, very best, and price is no object.

Re: Mr. Vanderbilt. "If you need to know how much it costs to run a yacht, you can't afford it."

srk1941

I agree, I bought the interior and top (and chrome top trim) for my 1941 Cadillac convertible coupe from Jenkins about ten years ago, and have been very pleased with it.  It isn't inexpensive, but what is when you're dealing with these cars...?  The interior had been poorly redone in the 1960s by the prior owner, so there was very little left to use as a correct template, so I felt comfortable that I would get something that was right.
Steven Keylon
1941 Cadillac Convertible Coupe
CLC# 16658

kyle

Thanks for the help guys,  I am hoping to hear from someone that has used them in the last year or so. Thanks again everyone.

Greg McDonnell

Kyle,

I know someone who is currently working with Jenkins.  They are redoing the leather interior from his '66 Eldorado (with bucket seats).  He hasn't received the finished product yet but I can let you know how satisfied he is (or is not) once it arrives. 

Greg McDonnell
CLC #20841
Greg McDonnell
CLC #20841

kyle

Greg, I will wait to here from you, Thanks.

Chris Conklin

What year/model car are you talking about Kyle? Greg's post brought a thought to mind; In some cases (like '66 Eldo reclining buckets with headrests) Jenkin's is one of the few suppliers that has the pattern to reproduce them. May be the only supplier. I've shopped around for my '66 Eldo's interior and Jenkin's has been the only supplier that can do it that I have found. Luckily, I don't really need it done anytime soon, I was just curious as to the damages for future reference.
Chris Conklin

kyle

It is an interior for a 1959 Seville, thanks guys

Ross Morgan #22943

I had a '59 interior done about 18 months ago by Jenkins.  Kyle,  if you want to hear about my experience and since that time, my understanding of what now goes on, you can email me.  I know of at least of one company that does interiors correctly and with a high degree of attention to detail and quality. 

Regards, Ross

Lars Kneller 8246

I have a Jenkins interior in my 66 Deville convertible that is 10 years old now and it still looks like new.  I've also used Fryer's in the state of Washington for my 68 Eldorado and 72 Eldorado convertible and have been pleased with the results.  They are a little less expensive.  I did have to send them my old covers to use as a pattern since they hadn't made covers for these cars previously. Their web address is below:

http://www.autoupholsterykits.com

Otto Skorzeny

Ross, can we take your reply to mean that you were less than enamored of the results?
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

BJM

...and how do you work with Jenkins from Iowa or Washington state?  I have a 1950 Buick Roadmaster 2 door hardtop that I want to be perfect BUT I would have to mail them the seats? and door panels (not so bad) then have them shipped back. That alone would add considerable dollars to cost.

I am going to try to use a local guy and get good materials.

Stampie

Quote from: BJM on February 27, 2010, 11:05:51 AM
I want to be perfect ... That alone would add considerable dollars to cost.

The first directly leads to the other.

Stampie
If... the machine of government... is of such a nature that it requires you to be the agent of injustice to another, then, I say, break the law.  ~Henry David Thoreau, On the Duty of Civil Disobediance, 1849

If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law respectable.  ~Louis D. Brandeis

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

...and how do you work with Jenkins from Iowa or Washington state?  I have a 1950 Buick Roadmaster 2 door hardtop that I want to be perfect BUT I would have to mail them the seats? and door panels (not so bad) then have them shipped back. That alone would add considerable dollars to cost.

The easiest way would be to get their upholstery "kit" that has all of the materials for your
car, make, model, etc. and have it shipped to you.  Then, have a reputable local upholstery
shop install it.  If your upholstery is leather the kit alone can cost over $10K.  Get references
from those who have used the the shops and look at their work to see if you're satisfied.
Look at their completed jobs.

For example, the seams on the seats whould be arrow straight -- not crooked or wavy.
That's the first tip off to a sub-par job.  As a national judge, I've seen many like that.

Shipping your complete seats, etc. to Jenkins from the West Coast and back makes no sense and
would be very costly.

Mike

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

kyle

Just remember when you think about shipping costs, Doing an interior is like painting a car. Everyone gives a lot of credit to the painter but the body man is the one that makes or breaks a car. An interior guy can make the best kit in the world but if the installer is sub par the job can be ruined. It is best to use one guy that way if something is wrong there is no one to blame but him. No passing the the buck, no pun intended since doing an interior you will be passing a lot of bucks around.

Bill Podany #19567

Jenkins is the very best and most reliable and authentic. The cost is is not marginable, but the quality and fit is exceptional.  You will need a competentant upholstery shop to intall the kit from Jenkins, but the seats of your car must be re-engineered and eight-way hand tied as origionally done by Cadillac, or the upholstery over time will shift, wrinkle, and warp.  The key is to have the infrastructure of the seat cushions, armrests, and dooor panels properly prepared for new covers. I suggest that one also replaces the carpetining, door panels, and interior roof panels and wind cords to complete the job experty.  Do it right the first time, or excessive expense subsequnetly follows, as one viisualizes infermaties.  This may need to include doing the trunk area correctly at the same time. 

Bill Podany
Knoxville, TN 
1941 60 Special Fleetwood
1955 Eldorado