News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Creatures in car

Started by billl, February 23, 2010, 08:52:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billl

Hi Hoping someone might have suggestions, Bout a car last week thats been sitting out  . Storing it my garage . Recent indications are that Some one has taken up residence in the Eldo -(mouse ,racoon???) Any tips on Quick ways to rid myself of these guys and keep them away ? thanks Bill

John Morris #23947

I had this problem last week, in my daily driver 71 luxury liner. Bought mouse traps & tried wild rice. Critter ate every grain without setting off traps. So I put peanut butter on the traps trip levers, next morning had a giant mouse. Thing snapped him right at the neck.
71 Olds 98 LS, 66 Fairlane 500 XL Convertible, 55 Packard Clipper Super, 58 Edsel Ranger, 72 Cheyenne Super, many 49-60 parts cars, abandoned "House Of Doom" full of 49-60 parts. Huge piles of engine parts, brackets, tin, Hydramatic & Jetaway parts,  thousands of stainless moldings, dozens of perfect sedan doors.

Fred Zwicker #23106

John,  If I were you I would buy more traps and stay with the peanut butter.  Normally for every mouse you see or catch, there are a lot of brothers, sisters and cousins in the same area.

Fred
1930 LaSalle Convertible Coupe, CCCA Senior
1939 LaSalle 2-Dr. Conv.  CLC Senior in 2008
1940 Cadillac Series 75 4 Dr. Convertible
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1948 Cadillac Convertible - modified by Holly (driver)
1966 Cadillac DeVille Conv. Restored - Red
See Pictures at www.tpcarcollection.com

Barry M. Wheeler #2189

Very possibly the reason the peanut butter worked over the rice is the mouse hung around for a few seconds too long because the peanut butter stuck to the roof of his mouth.

(This is what happens when you're retired and have too much disposable time on your hands...You make inane comments that mean absolutely nothing...)

harvey b

Hi there,if you have a squirrel,you need a big rat trap,a mouse trap is a joke to them,or you can rent a small animal box trap,they are good,you can catch and release if you want,a squirrel is a real pest,they can do a lot of damage in no time at all.i had some here at my place,i live in the country,mine had a case of lead poisoning,12 guage that is ;), good luck with them.  Harvey B
Harvey Bowness

Herb

I have had great success with sunflower seeds. Just wedge one in the little groove in the trap. Sometimes I caught more than one with the same seed. (neat and clean)Herb #21704

Classic

Or go to your local farm supply store such as TSC, and buy some rodenticide.  Put some in the trunk on the floor on a piece of cardboard, also on the floor behind and in front of the front seat and more under the hood.  Lasts a long time and keeps the pests at bay.
Gene Menne
CLC #474

The Tassie Devil(le)

Or live in Tasmania, where we have no such critters that feel the need to wantonly destroy things near and dear to us.

But, we do have rats and mice, but they find other places to live.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   No Salt on roads in the Winter either.

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Otto Skorzeny

I saw a show on TV where cockatoos were tearing windshield rubber and wiper blades off cars over there, Bruce.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Whit Otis, 1188

Moth balls will keep them away.... somehow they don't like the smell..... other ideas.... buy some glue pads and put them around the tires ... of course if you are an animal lover this won't work for you...... one other thought, figure out where they are getting in and stuff the hole full of steel wool..... they just can't stand it when they chew on that stuff and it gets to the fillings in their teeth.
Whit
PS another old man with goofy ideas
Whit Otis -
1941 6219D Custom
1941 6219D
1940 7533F
1986 Mercedes Benz 560 SEL
1999 Bentley Arnage
2019 XT5
Drawing of AP Sloan Custom by Terry Wenger

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Otto Skorzeny on February 23, 2010, 09:09:15 PM
I saw a show on TV where cockatoos were tearing windshield rubber and wiper blades off cars over there, Bruce.
Don't know anything about that.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Brett Cottel

Watch out! I have seen huge damage to wiring harness's, carpets, insulation, upholstery, etc. Get those critters out now. De-con poison works well but you'll have to find the critter if he crawls away somewhere tight to die.
Brett
1955 Cadillac Meteor Combination Coach
CLC #27535
Pic's at http://s981.photobucket.com/albums/ae293/brettcottel/

Dan LeBlanc

Bounce sheets also do wonders keeping the creatures away.  Always had a problem in the camper van, put Bounce dryer sheets around, and poof, critters gone.  They hate the smell of it and it makes the interior smell good.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

tozerco

Bruce,

That's what happens when you don't live on the big island! I once had enormous problems with cockies ripping flashings out of multi-storey buildings letting the rain cascade in. Owner spent a small fortune getting CSIRO (our scientific and research instrumentality) to carry out an investigation as to why - it took 3 months!

Turns out the roof of my two tall buildings was half way between their roosts on two hills on either sides of the city and they got a bit puffed about half way through their flight! While they rested on my roof top, the experts were convinced they got bored and picked at the flashings for something to do! The architect suggested we put a colour telly up there for them but a metal silhouette of a couple of cats fixed it much cheaper!

John Tozer
John Tozer

'37 7513
'37 7533

Otto Skorzeny

That's funny Tozer. That's what they said on the show I saw. The cockatoos, like parrots, are pretty intelligent and got bored at some parking lot. They would strip all the rubber wiper blades from the cars and then start on all the black rubber trim and window seals.

Of coarse they'd take off before the people got to their cars and the police thought it was punk kids vandalizing the cars.

I once saw a pet macaw on a dive boat rip the bezel off a guy's $2000 dive watch in a split second. Their beaks are like fine dental tools with the power of a hydraulic press.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

57flw

I haven't seen the cockatoos getting stuck into the the wiper rubbers but have seen the Crows do it.

I was in Adelaide, in South Australia, last Christmas and in the street where my mate lived all the cars had their wiper arms up in the air, away from the screen.
He got me to do it with the hire car.
This was done everytime people came home to keep the Crows away, and apparently it worked.
The birds would peck at the rubbers until they dislodged one end and then rip the rubber blade right off.

It really was a weird thing to see.

Ken
Ken Francis
Hervey Bay
Queensland, Australia
1957 Series 60 Special Fleetwood

tozerco

The cockatoos, like parrots, are pretty intelligent .......

Intelligent???? Catch the fella in the video on this site!

http://www.mahalo.com/cockatoos

John Tozer
John Tozer

'37 7513
'37 7533

David King (kz78hy)

Watching that bird try and get the lock out of the door reminds me attempting removing a blind nut/bolt from a buried location.  Eventually you get it, but while you are trying, it is maddening.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter