News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1976 eldo wheel and hub

Started by Wyonia, February 26, 2010, 10:33:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wyonia

I also forgot to ask if a 1977 or 1978 wheel and hub will fit a 1976 eldo,I think it would,someone has changed this 1976 to disk brakes in back put hydrolic shock's on front and cut holes in the upper control arm's in front to make room for these hydrolic shock's,I've got to fix this poor mistreated eldo,I can find a 1978 or 1977 close but I can't find a 1976.Will a head from a 1978 or 1977 fit a 1976? If Ineed one. I know one is a 425 and the other is a 500. Thank's and let me know.

TJ Hopland

77-78 would have come with 425's.   If you know where to look you can tell them from a 472/500 but at a glance they look pretty much the same and will physically interchange if someone wanted to over the years.     The 425 is in theory 100 or so pounds lighter than the 500.    I dont think anything changed in the front suspension / hubs/ brakes 71-78.  76-78 they went to the hydro boost and rear discs.   If someone cut up the upper A arms that should be all you have to replace unless other parts are also bad or worn.  If you have that stuff apart it would be a good time to look at the ball joints and wheel bearings. Also a good time to look at the CV boots and joints, with the upper joint loose 6 more bolts and the axle comes out.  The bearings are sold without the hubs so you need to press the bearing out of the hub and knuckle.  The original ball joints were riveted on and any replacements would be bolted unless someone was going for a 100 point show car. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Ted in Olympia WA

The suspension parts are all the same, in fact they are the same from 69-78.  The engine head will not interchange between the 500 and 425 (they might is you use both heads but it is not a good idea).  The head is the same for the 500 from 74-76.  You could put the whole 425 engine in place of the 500 if you wanted.

TED
Selling used Eldorado Parts from 1971-1978.  Member Number 25659.