News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Seating rings

Started by tony m, February 28, 2010, 12:05:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tony m

Gentlemen,

How many hours or miles does it take to seat rings on a new rebuilt flathead 346. My car still emits blue/black smoke which fouls the plugs in no time at all........

Tony M.

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Tony,

Sounds like you have been to easy on it, and have Glazed Cylinder Bores.

Any engine will take about 5 miles to seat in the Piston Rings if done correctly.

If not, then the Bores will glaze up and will require de-glazing, by either removing the pistons and de-glazing the bores with a de-glazing stone, or there are other snake-oil ways of doing it.

The best way to bed the rings in on a new engine is to, after the Cam and lifters have been run in, is to put a load on the engine, in short bursts, without racing it, like driving at 10 Mph, in top gear, and flooring the pedal to 50 Mph, then backing off, and doing the same again and again, without getting the engine too hot.   5 times should be sufficient.

The worst thing anyone can do to a new/rebuilt engine, is to baby it.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

tony m

Thanks Bruce.....I will stretch her out after I get the fuel pump working, the transmission leak fixed, and the temperature gauge operating.

Regards,
Tony M.

The Tassie Devil(le)

If the bores are glazed, no amount of "Running-in" will unglaze them.

How long have you been driving her since the re-build?

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

tony m

Bruce,

I have been driving the car on occasion for 15 years, probably not more than 2 miles or so at a time because of dependability.
I'm tired of not being able to drive my girl. I need to push the car after I get temp. gauge fixed.

Thanks,
Tony M.

kgray39011

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) (Bruce Reynolds) on February 28, 2010, 05:03:07 AM

"The worst thing anyone can do to a new/rebuilt engine, is to baby it."

I would agree with your comment but I have always thought that you load the motor but keep the RPMs down for the first few miles untill everything has had an initial break in then you can rev the motor up. Am I wrong?

Ken
Kenneth P. Gray - 2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport Imperial Blue
Christine (Wife) - 2010 Cadillac SRX Performance Package White Diamond
Looking for a 1949 Coupe Driver

TJ Hopland

Its important to know what year the engine is and what parts and processes were used in the rebuild.  There is no standard procedure that fits all engines over all years.  Modern engines and sometimes old engines with new parts have virtually no break in required.  It really depends on the parts. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

bill henry

Quote from: kgray39011 on February 28, 2010, 11:35:28 AM
I would agree with your comment but I have always thought that you load the motor but keep the RPMs down for the first few miles untill everything has had an initial break in then you can rev the motor up. Am I wrong?

Ken
you have to rev her up when it first starts to properly break in the cam
Bill Henry

The Tassie Devil(le)

To Break-in the Cam and Lifters, the engine has to be run immediately on Start-up at 2,000 to 2,500 Rpm.   No Idling around, as the first 5 minutes is the difference between life and death for these surfaces.

Plus, when accelerating from 10 Mph to 50 Mph in top gear isn't going to over-rev the engine, and with an Automatic Transmission, don't apply the Accelerator that hard that the Transmission wants to "Kick-down" to a lower gear.

Running-in isn't rocket science, but knowing the reason  why, and what can happen is.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe