News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1948 Radiator Troubles

Started by vicbrincat, February 28, 2010, 01:37:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vicbrincat

Hi folks,

need some guidance and help, please.

I had my rad re-cord about two years ago. The rad was put on shelf for storage immediately after it was received back.
This week I went to install it and noticed that although the re-core itself was fine, the bottom cast-iron outlet was very rusty.
Flakes of rust actually fell out. On close inspection it appears that the cast iron has lost a fair amount of wall material ..but it honestly does not look like it will break through. Despite the fact that it has become thinner, I could not punch a hole through with a screw driver.  I probably should have inspected right after I got it (if only that was the biggest mistake I have ever made). None- the-less, the shop that re-cored it is gone and I'm stuck with what I have.

Anyway....I have spent a tremendous effort (not to mention $$$) restoring this Cadillac  and the  last thing I want to have happen is a coolant leak and subsequent engine damage.  Even though my existing  rad will probably be fine,  I would rather not take a  chance  that it would  leave me stranded or damage the engine.
So, I would like to replace it.

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement rad? I recently saw an ad for new replacements, but cannot for the life of me remember where.

I welcome your advise and help.
Thanks

Vic Brincat

herman

Vic

I have a 48 radiator that I had boiled out and pressure tested from my donor car just in case and then decided not to use it as the one I had was also fine.  The radiator is complete including the cast neck at the top.  The only problem I see is weight to ship to you.  Let me know if you can't find one closed to you and we can talk.   Glad you are now on the downward spiral.
Herman

Jeff Maltby 4194

The only way to ship this is by Greyhound to a border town near Vic. I have a spare 48 radiator also with dent free top tank.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

vicbrincat

Thanks Jeff and Herman.

I pulled the rad back out and spent the whole morning cleaning the lower cast iron outlet.
I hit every spot on the outlet with a chisel and hammer in attempt to find any weak spot..and I was not being gentle. No more rust flakes fell and it looks like it's solid despite my conerns.

I will pressure test the system and keep a very close eye on it.
I'm also hoping that the newer ant-freeze solutions have much  better rust inhibitors than the ones that were originally used. 

Herman, I will keep your rad in mind. Let me know if you just don't want it hanging around anymore and we'll make arrangements for shipping it up here.

Thanks again  guys!

Vic

buicksplus

The upper and lower necks on these radiators are pretty thick, the outlet necks on the cylinder heads are much thinner and more prone to failure.  I have had several of these cars and not experienced a problems with the radiator necks and most of mine were pretty rusty.  With modern anti-freeze in these cars, rusting will be reduced a lot.

I have used bondo and paint on the outside of these necks to fill in the deep pits to help seal the hoses and make the necks look a bit better. This cosmetic fix seems to have held up OK on my cars.

I have recored two of these radiators (expensive!) and don't know of anyone making a new replacement radiator.  I think you could find some sort of street rod radiator to fit the space and probably work much better.  But it will be pretty obvious that it is not original.

Bill.
Bill Sullivan CLC# 12700

vicbrincat

Thanks for the post,  Bill. This is more re-assuring.
In terms of the cyclinder head outlets..that's not a problem for me as I have used new outlets.

Based on your input and a closer inspection of the upper and lower spoute/neck of my own rad, I think there will
not be a problem. Maybe I was becoming a little paranoid.

I would MUCH rather keep the original look.

Thank you!
Vic