News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Were spare tire covers offered on the 1956 Cadillac?

Started by Richard Sills - CLC #936, March 02, 2010, 10:52:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Sills - CLC #936

A friend has asked whether spare tire covers were available on the 1956 Cadillac. 

I checked some reference books and the earliest reference I saw to spare tire covers was in the 1959 catalog.  In 1959, a spare tire cover was standard on the Fleetwood 60 Special and the Eldorados, and optional at extra cost on all other Cadillacs.  (That was also the first year when the spare tire was located horizontally on the trunk floor, rather than upright as in prior years.)

Does anyone know the answer to this?

Thank you.     

Otto Skorzeny

I have never seen a factory cover on a '56 nor have I seen any in any of the literature I own.

It doesn't show up in the spec and options manual, owner's manual, or the large deluxe sales brochure.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Richard Sills - CLC #936

Thanks, Otto.  This sounds like the right answer. 

The question arose because there is one restored '56 on the show circuit that has a spare tire cover.  It was made from the trunk material when the trunk lining was replaced.  While it looks very nice, I didn't think the factory did that in '56.