News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Insurance

Started by Mike Lepak 17679, March 05, 2010, 08:46:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Lepak 17679

For the past 10-15 years I have carried insurance on my collector cars. Some of my cars do not have titles.
I called my insurer to be sure that in the event of a major loss these were covered (fire tornado etc).  I
was assured they were providing I could prove they were mine????? Now mind you, Hagerty has been
collecting premiums for all this time on these cars which I provided pictures of and serial numbers for.
I will add that I have never had a claim.  The company rep suggested that I get them titled, well I'm
not going to spend hundreds of $ on each car many of which I've had from the 60s and are never driven.
Rather than ramble on, here is my question: Has anyone knowledge of a company that will insure me
without titles?
Thank you,
Mike

Otto Skorzeny

Why not do a sworn affidavit to verify ownership of the cars in question. Provide Hagerty with a copy. And get written assurance from them that your cars are indeed covered - titled or not.

I think Hagerty is correct when they say your cars are insured. You don't have to own the items you insure anyway. Many old cars don't have titles. GA doesn't require titles for old cars yet you can buy plates and insurance for them and drive them on the street.

As long as the cars are listed on you declarations page with their identifying serial numbers or VIN, you're covered.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Alan Harris CLC#1513

I was a practicing attorney for fifteen years and have been a judge for the past five. In most states, a title is evidence of ownership but is not dispositive of ownership. In other words, you can be the legal owner of a car that is not titled in your name. As long as no one else appears to claim ownership, you are presumed to be the owner.

I would strongly recommend that you read your policy, especially any sectioned labelled "Exclusions". If there is no exclusion for untitled vehicles in the policy, you are covered. Obviously, if there is such an exclusion, you have a problem.

Mike Lepak 17679

Quote from: Otto Skorzeny on March 05, 2010, 11:15:06 PM
Why not do a sworn affidavit to verify ownership of the cars in question. Provide Hagerty with a copy. And get written assurance from them that your cars are indeed covered - titled or not.

I think Hagerty is correct when they say your cars are insured. You don't have to own the items you insure anyway. Many old cars don't have titles. GA doesn't require titles for old cars yet you can buy plates and insurance for them and drive them on the street.

As long as the cars are listed on you declarations page with their identifying serial numbers or VIN, you're covered.

[/quote
Forrest,
Thank you for the input.
Mike

Mike Lepak 17679

Quote from: Alan Harris CLC#1513 on March 06, 2010, 01:18:44 PM
I was a practicing attorney for fifteen years and have been a judge for the past five. In most states, a title is evidence of ownership but is not dispositive of ownership. In other words, you can be the legal owner of a car that is not titled in your name. As long as no one else appears to claim ownership, you are presumed to be the owner.

I would strongly recommend that you read your policy, especially any sectioned labelled "Exclusions". If there is no exclusion for untitled vehicles in the policy, you are covered. Obviously, if there is such an exclusion, you have a problem.

Alan,

I greatly appreciate your recomendation.  I will review my policy.
Thank you,
Mike