News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

39 Caddy

Started by DanH, March 07, 2010, 02:04:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanH

Great site I came across after searching I just picked up a 39 Caddy don't know much about it. Just that I was told it needed a voltage regulator.
After 4 hours getting out of garage and 6 hours of driving I 'd like to know more about it. any help would be great.
the tag says
Style 39-7519
Body 165
Trim 4903
paint 51
thanks
John

DanH

thought I would add a picture

Mark Lowery

Dan,
This car looks to be in remarkably good shape.  Where has it been the last couple of decades?

On another tact;  can you discern the brand name of the fog lights?  These look a bit smaller than the Appleton lights that were original equipment on at least the 37 and 38 Cadillacs and LaSalles.  I'm wondering if they are Unity brand.  This company survives to this day and can supply an array of parts related to fog, driving and spot lights they have manufactured in the past.

As you may realize, this site is mainly for the benefit of members of the Cad/LaSalle club.  For the modest sum of $50/year, you could be receiving the Self-Starter, the CLC magazine and the annual club directory.  Well worth the annual dues, which I might add are less than some other clubs I belong to.

Mark Lowery, CLC #25216

DanH

Thanks Mark I'll check the lights The car is very original from what I can tell.

Whit Otis, 1188

Look like the standard bumper iron mounted Appleton Fogs popular on late 39 and 40 Cadillac's to me.  Look at the top of the lense and se if it says Cadillac Fog Light and Appleton Electric Co at the bottom of the lense.
W
Whit Otis -
1941 6219D Custom
1941 6219D
1940 7533F
1986 Mercedes Benz 560 SEL
1999 Bentley Arnage
2019 XT5
Drawing of AP Sloan Custom by Terry Wenger

Whit Otis, 1188

Whoops... I meant to say late 30's Cadillacs..... 38, 39 and 40..... these were quite popular options on those.
W
Whit Otis -
1941 6219D Custom
1941 6219D
1940 7533F
1986 Mercedes Benz 560 SEL
1999 Bentley Arnage
2019 XT5
Drawing of AP Sloan Custom by Terry Wenger

Brian Biddle

Nice I have one that looks just like it. Maybe if we have a problem we can bounce ideas of each other. I am fairly new at taking care of this car too.

Brian

Tom Magdaleno

Thats a sleek looking car, good find.
Tom
'38 Cadillac V16
'71 Buick Riviera
'65 Chevy Truck
'56 Packard Super Clipper

DanH

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the car, I have a few people interested in it, I thought I'd keep it but If a serious offer comes I may let it go.
Thanks again

DanH

Help! I've got a 39 series 75. Just got it running the voltage reg. was in a box the wires on car were not marked. I think I hooked it up right best I could tell with no diagram installed battery with a neg ground braided cable to chassis, positive to insulated cable to starter looked right but gauge is dicharging when running could this be a positive ground ? And I have it backwards?
any help would be great.
Thanks
John

Otto Skorzeny

Stop Right There!

Your car is POSITIVE GROUND!!!!!

GM switched to negative ground in 1946.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

DanH

I knew it That braided cable through me off.
Being a electrician it just didn't seem right.
Thanks for the help.

Carfreak

Quote from: Mark Lowery on March 07, 2010, 04:23:47 PM

For the modest sum of $50/year, you could be receiving the Self-Starter, the CLC magazine and the annual club directory. 

$50 for 1st Class mail but only $35 for 2nd Class and only $20 if you are between the ages of 16 and 21. 

https://cadil3.securesites.net/application3.shtml
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

DanH

I will definitely join if I decide to keep the car, Its a great site.
John

Warren Rauch

We should answer the question you asked.
 Style 39-7519 = 1939 Cadillac series 75 ( biggest v8 model) 4 door sedan, Fleetwood body ,no divider window
Body 165 = body number
Trim 4903 = interior cloth type: Brown plain cloth
Paint 51= black with wheels black,Triton Green or Vincennes Red
Warren

DanH

Thanks Warren The front seat is leather, would that have been cloth originally?

Danh

I'm having trouble shifting 1st to 2nd when it does go, its nice and smooth and then I can go back and forth between 2nd and 3rd with no problem,
then back to first no problem but then finding neutral not so easy its either reverse or 1st. unless you keep moving the shifter. Its seems like you have to go just past neutral and then up to have any chance of hitting 2nd. any ideas out there. I hoping that since the car been sitting 5 years maybe things have to loosen up.
Could this be normal?

Mike Simmons 938

Dan- re: Voltage Regulator. Original part number was 1118230. A fairly rare bird, listed also for series 75,85 and 90 in 1937, and 75 in 1938. It was also used in the 37 and 38 Studebaker President 8s, some Packard (37) and Pontiac(38) cars. It was quite common on large trucks from Autocar to White prewar, so that category may pay off if you can't find anything from automotive-type suppliers.