News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

75 Cadillac Caribou Pickup

Started by Lorraine Melgosa, May 26, 2004, 11:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lorraine Melgosa

Has anyone ever heard of the Caribou Motor Company of California? They converted Coupe de Villes into pickups and station wagons and were sold by that company and also Cadillac dealerships.  I have a 75 Caribou pickup and know of a guy who has a station wagon.  Id like to find out how many were made and how many are still out there.  Dont mistake this for a flower car, they were entirely different.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

I have just accuiered an 85 caddilac pickup  the vin number suggests it was made from a fleetwood and info on this one would be great

Jeanette

Quote from: Lorraine Melgosa on May 26, 2004, 11:00:19 PM
Has anyone ever heard of the Caribou Motor Company of California? They converted Coupe de Villes into pickups and station wagons and were sold by that company and also Cadillac dealerships.  I have a 75 Caribou pickup and know of a guy who has a station wagon.  Id like to find out how many were made and how many are still out there.  Dont mistake this for a flower car, they were entirely different.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.

My father designed and made these cars.  I believe that he only made about 60 or so.  He passed away in 1990.  His name was Lou Schorsch and it was a blast driving them when I was a teenager.  Do you still have your Caribou?  I am interested in buying one of his originals.

Davidinhartford

Be sure to post some photos for us to enjoy.

Tim Pawl CLC#4383

I previously owned a 1974 Caribou,  and had contacted Lou Scorcsh before he passed.   He told me that there was a fire at the original factory and that the records were either destroyed by fire or by water.  From memory he thought that around 220 were built of the 1971-1976 body style with 92 or so being built in 1974.  He also told me that the original brochure from late 1971 early 1972 which showed pictures of a red, a white ,and a blue Caribou were all the same car just re-painted.  Tom Hall from California is the expert on these cars as he owns several of them. Hope this helps.    My car was sold to the teenage son of a CLC member who is restoring it as part of classes in autobody in Michigan.   Keeping the youngsters involved in the hobby , and this unique car should live on. 

veesixteen

So far as I know (and I've been researching Cadillac history since I was 16 and I'm now pushing 71) there are no official production records for these "Caribou" pick-up conversions.  Some club members here have quoted estimated production figures that I consider perfectly reliable. According to one of its own advertising flyers, in 1986, the Caribou Motor Company (Grover City, CA, USA) built Cadillac pickup conversions since 1954; these combined the luxury of a regular automobile in a pickup. The designer and engineer behind most Caribou pickups (as others have stated here) was Lou Schorsch. A power operated tail gate was a first on the 1986 version. These conversions were available through Cadillac dealers or directly from the Caribou Motor Company, on Coupe de Ville models from 1974 to 1986. The company boasted in 1978:  Every Caribou is a show car that stands out for years to come as one of America's truly practical automobiles. The Caribou is the ultimate passenger car pick-up. Cadillac standards are used throughout the construction of your Caribou, along with numerous inspections, to maintain  the highest quality possible. To order your Caribou, you must use your [own] automobile. Select the finest car you can find. Try to avoid using a wrecked or damaged car. It's best to start with the best. Orders were taken with a 50% deposit, the balance being due on delivery. The advertised costs in 1986 were as follows: conversion from a 1974-76 Cadillac Coupe deVille, $10,500, from a 1977-79 Coupe deVille, $12,500, and from a 1980-86 Coupe de Ville, $14,500. There was an article about these conversions in Motor Trend Magazine, circa May or September, 1975. One club member in Oregon  has a "Cadillac Coupe deVille Mirage" pick-up conversion from Traditional Coach Works Ltd. (USA); it carries a "Caribou" badge
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

R Winchell

I have some original sales brochures for the Caribou trucks. If you would like copies, I will send you some in color for a small fee.......
            Bob Winchell                    rwinch5418@bellsouth.net