News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Upgrade Distributor on a 429 ??????

Started by Ernest_67, March 07, 2010, 11:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ernest_67

I would like to upgrade my point distributor to and electronic distributor on a 67' DeVille with the 429 engine, have anyone completed this successfully before and if so, was it a good idea ?

TJ Hopland

The most popular upgrade that has been around the longest is the Pertronix Ignitor I.  They are available just about anywhere and I think that one is the common GM V8 one so it may even be a stock item for some.   It fits in the stock distributor and except for an extra wire looks stock.

There are other options that still use the points to trigger so it can be easy to switch back if needed.  In theory just using the points as a trigger they will last much longer plus the dwell will be done by the electronics so the adjustment is not critical.  It just depends on what you are looking for. Things like a MSD6 box can trigger off points.  With a transistor and resistor you can use the 70's GM HEI module.  With some adjustment of the points you can use the 70's Chrysler module. Velleman makes a kit  http://www.vellemanusa.com/us/enu/product/view/?id=350487     
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

35-709

I used the Pertronix setup in 2 different '66 429s several years ago, was very happy with the results and had no problems.  Drawback with any electronic system is that if you have a component failure it may take some time to get a replacement part, not to mention diagnosing the problem.  With points and condenser, replacement parts are as near as your local parts store.

Pertronix advertises in The Self Starter.

Geoff N.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Otto Skorzeny

Hi Ernest,

Click on the link in my signature and look for Dave's Small Body HEI on the list.

He will convert you existing distributor to the GM HEI system which uses off the shelf parts and leaves your engine bay looking a little more stock.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE