News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1918 Type 57 Engine color

Started by rvsls, March 10, 2010, 05:03:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rvsls

I am currently rebuilding a 1918 Type 57 engine and would like to paint the heads and cylinder blocks the correct color.  Does anyone know what the original color was?  When I purchased the car, the heads were dark brown but there was no paint on the cylinder blocks.

Thanks for any help or suggestions,

Rod Smith
CLC# 23413

Otto Skorzeny

I took these photos last year of a local collector's car. It is unrestored except for a valve job and freshening / repaint of the engine. I asked the guy who did the work if this was the original color. He said it was.

Who knows if it was painted a long time before he got hold of it and the red paint just looked original because of age?
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Paul Ayres #5640

Rod & Otto -  Cadillac never used red on an engine, especially on one this early.  The word of the owner is not sufficient to establish authenticity, when such a glaring error is being claimed as authentic!  The block and heads should be black.  The aluminum parts should be bare aluminum, or coated with clear.  .  Paul Ayres #5640

Otto Skorzeny

I kind of figured that. It looked pretty bizarre to me.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE