News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Kelsey-Hayes rims

Started by robert G. smits, March 11, 2010, 10:47:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robert G. smits

I am getting ready to have new radials mounted on my 58 Barritz rims.  Are there ant precautions that need to be followed by the tire jockey?  thanks, Bob
R. Smits, #2426
23 Cad 7P Touring
32 Cad 5P Coupe
38 Cad 90 Series
41 Cad 63 Series
58 Cad Eldo Barritz
The average man can take care of one Woman and two Cadillacs, Al Edmond AACA Past President

Carfreak

Just had two brand new tires destroyed by a local service station;  seems the flunkie didn't think it was necessary to use lube and he tore chunks out of the beads. 

STAND THERE AND WATCH.   

Explain how much the rims are worth and tell the tire jockey if he doesn't feel competent to install them without damaging the rim or tire then go elsewhere. 

Coats says:   'Proper lubrication must be used when mounting & dismounting tires'.   Every time. 
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

Otto Skorzeny

Right, Right, Right.

Most of these numbskulls working in the auto repair industry today have no conception of the different methods of repair required for a 50 year old car.

Call the place you bought your tires and ask if they have any installers near you that they recommend. Don't be afraid to tell people how to do the job on your old car. Most will be grateful for pointers and tips because they really don't want to damage anything.

Make sure you tell them / draw pictures about the Left Hand Threads on the car or they'll twist your lugs off or strip the threads!

Think about anything that could go wrong and tell them how to do it.

Leave your hubcaps and fender skirts at home. Better yet, leave the whole car at home and take the wheels and tires in the trunk / backseat of your wife's car and put them on the Cadillac yourself.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

I can't imagine some moron trying to mount a tire without lubing the bead first.
That's one of the first things you learn (I learned this more years ago than I like to
remember).

I agree with Otto -- better to take the ties / wheels with you without the car.  That
gives them less of an opportunity to screw anything up.

A good garage that you know and trust is a much better place than the typical
"tire store".

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Eric S. Maypother #15104

Most places have them now but if you have a wire, chrome or aluminum rim make sure they have a tire machine that holds tire by 4 points from the inside, instead of the ones that the spindle goes through the center of tire and holds it down. And yes lube does wonders.

My friend has a tire machine so I can still mount and dismount my own tires, I just bring them to Gas Station to balance them.
Eric :)
1990 Cadillac Brougham

robert G. smits

Thank you everybody.  Yes, I have the wheels off the car and I will be present during the whole procedure.  Years ago I had a 34 Pontiac wire wheel bent at a Goodyear Tire store and have been wary ever since.  Bob
R. Smits, #2426
23 Cad 7P Touring
32 Cad 5P Coupe
38 Cad 90 Series
41 Cad 63 Series
58 Cad Eldo Barritz
The average man can take care of one Woman and two Cadillacs, Al Edmond AACA Past President